What do i need to know about donkeys...

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
i know this is the wrong place to put this and i posted on backyard herds but i only got 1 response:(
i know a lot of you on this website have donkeys and i would like your opinion on this subject!

i am getting a donkey as a livestock guardian for my sheep and i was wondering what are some important things in keeping a donkey.
i also have a couple of questions.
1. can a donkey survive on just bermuda grass and weeds while it is growing good?
2. how much hay does a standard jenny eat during the fall and winter
3. how often do you trim the hooves of donkeys
4. The donkey will be kept on about 2 and half acres of pasture with hair sheep ewes. is this okay
3. i am using electric polywire in 5 strands is this okay for donkeys?

i am hoping no predators will get in through the electric polywire i am going to try to set it up really well. But just in case i want a donkey there to protect my ewes and newborn lambs from dogs, coyotes etc.

I dont have a donkey but I do have a mini mule.
They are quite hardy little things, I give mine 1 slice of hay and a scoop of feed 2 times a day.
Her feet only need doing every 2 to 3 trims per my mini horses are every 6 to 8 weeks.
If you dont have alot of grass give some hay every day.
My mule used to jump the fence, i now have electric wire ontop of said fence and it keeps her in very good.
I cant answer about the sheep question, sorry but I will say mu mule jumped out the fence to chase a deer one night and also chased next doors dog down the middle of the road to get him back home and my cats now wont go in the pasture after a few times of being chased by the mule.

Last edited:
It all depends on the size and temperament and age of the animal. Not all donkeys hate dogs, my mini Jack loves my GP's. I know donkeys and mules eat way way less than horses of equal size and can survive on poorer quality hay than horses, not that I give mine less, LOL. My mini Jack gets trimmed fewer times than my mini horses, but we are on sand here. I think they respect hot wire pretty well, and have found that once shocked they seem to "get it ", and are less likely to try again or test it.

since i am getting electric fencing i am hoping she wont escape. I really just need someone experienced with livestock guardians as donkeys. There is a jenny near me on craigslist right now. It says she is 18 months old and she was raised with a couple other donkeys and goats. it also says she will be a great livestock guardian. I guess i am just worried. I have heard certain donkeys dont do well and they might kill lambs and or injure ewes. It says on the craigslist ad that the donkey already runs away coyotes and foxes so i may get her if she is friendly. the only thing that turns me away from the ad is that it says " she has been through a lot in her life so far" i dont know what that means. It also says she is friendly " giving proper attention" but she is skiddish and runs away if you scare her. I dont know what to do! They have a picture of her and she looks happy and healthy. They are selling her for 80$ if you pick her up or they will deliver her for 100$.

Back
Top Bottom