What do I need to know about gamefowl?

toejam

Never enough birds
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
SW Ohio, Wilmington
I am intrested in starting to raise gamefowl. I have a few questions.
Are they like raising other chickens?
Do I need anything special for them like permits?
Where can I get some good quality ones.

I havent decided what varieties I want.
Thanks,
Justin

Yes raise like chicken, except males can't be raised together ,because they fight till the death.

pumpkin hulsey

chicken051.jpg
chicken048.jpg
chicken014.jpg

white kelso

chicken024.jpg

Last edited:
i dont think or well better say i dont know if you need a permit..
but you do have to be careful cause there are alot of people that can see wong in having them
i have law greys, thais, saipans, and roundheads and my neighbors always have a close eye on me haha
i have also ornamental longtails.. phoenix sumatra yokohama for show
game should be kept seperate from each other and other males..
but also depends on the game blood in them some have lost it
but they are fun to have and are great birds o have..
very stong and just show pride in themselfs
smile.png

PTDC0003-1.jpg

PTDC0009.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks doodle doo.
My neighbor wont care because she is my 4h advisor.
I have to ask my dad about them but I love the colors, and it would show not all of them are bad, like pitbulls.

Quote:
yes you are right not all are bad..well in reality none are bad..they just act as nature intended
smile.png

like the roundhead i put hes the most docile one i have he can be handled and put in with other roosters..
but like i said just depends on the breeder
smile.png

yes i like their colors also very cool..

I am new to raising Gamefowl, having only raised a variety of egg laying breeds and Cochins. Gamefowl are definitely more engaged. Mine are only four weeks old, and they make eye contact, move much more like a flock, and have developed much for quickly. Mine can easily fly up 4 or 5 feet, and they are very fast (hard to catch).

On the other hand, mine at three weeks attacked one of their own and nearly killed her. I don't know what set them off, but keep in mind that although chicks of all breeds fight, the differences that these can do damage.

I myself have a lot to learn, but I encourage you to ask very specific questions. People here are always willing to help. The one thing I would add is to plan in advance how many roosters you are going to keep and how you want to house them. I am only going to keep two, because I am new to this and want to keep my learning curve as smooth as possible. Also, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it if I had 10 roosters crowing all the time.

Back
Top Bottom