What do i need to raise baby chicks?!

Make shure the lamp / shade whatever you call the metal thing the bulb goes in is ok for the 250 watt bulbs some are not . You can also look and find red bulbs in doller stores or regular stores you know how they have black lights and blue and stuff for parties or what not , if you were able to find a 75 watt red bulb you could use that instead of the 250 if your just broding a couple chicks in a smaller area , you dont really need a 250 unless you have a lot of chicks or a big space.

I dont know if Id go with a 75 watt party colored bulb. I always use the heat lamps from Tractor Supply Company they are for brooding chicks then get one or even 2 to have a back up 250w red heat bulb. Im sure you can use other things for heat but this is just what has always made me comfortable. Make sure the chicks are in a large enough space to get out of the heat if they need or want to. The temp should be about 95 degrees directly under the lamp at chick level. Move the heat lamp up a few inches once a week to lower the brooder temp by 5 degrees each time.

150 Watt Brooder Bulb is what I always used 250 seems excessive imo but i have not been doing this for a long time so maybe things have changed

I will point out that is what most people sell when they sell kits as well such as the ones posted on page one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom