What do I need...

Jen4

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Munfordville, KY
What do I need to get before I get my baby chicks? I know I need a container, heat lamp, of course water, dont know what kind of food? Is there anything else?
Thanks

Hey again..lol.
Walk into any feed store and ask for "Chick Starter"..they will know what you need. I prefer a "crumble" texture..so you may want to mention that also..there is less waste with the crumbles.

If you take my chicks..a light bulb will do..they are off the brooder lamp at this point. I have some in the barn, some in the garage, and some in the house...how many do you want..lol!!

Also..check your PM box and feel free to call if you want.

Last edited:
lol.... how old are they? I'm thinking 3...maybe 4. Have 4 kids and they where getting kind of excited last night when I was telling them about you and the chicks and of course they all want to name them...they were saying well mine is going to be call so and so, I just laughed cause I was thinking hey these chicks are mine...lol but guess I'll have to share. Thats life with kids. Getting ready to go talk to Dh. Keep fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I have some that are fully feathered..about a month old..and some 2-3 weeks old. I hatch so much that I am never sure exactly..lol.

If you want to re-think that..I have 6-7 that you may have. Since I am trying to raise all pure Orps, That would solve the problem of me having all the mixes gone...but your choice.

I'm Still working on Dh..... about how much would it cost to raise 6-7 chickens each month. If it was just up to me I would come get them right now...lol

Gee..I never figured it out..there's bedding (pine shavings) a little over $5..one of those would last a month or more depending on how much space you have. One 50 lb bag of chick feed would last at least a month I would think...thats about $13.

Sitting here" not working" so if you want to give me a call..feel free.

Last edited:
You will need Chick starter, medicated or non-medicated, thats up to you. I find that the medicated starter crumbles are smaller than the non-medicated. So if you are having bantams, you will need to grind the food up for the first week or two. Sometimes it is too large to fit in their mouth.

A 1 gallon waterer

A feeder

Get some Vitamins and Electrolytes to add to their water for the first week or two. I find that it helps the chicks adjust to the food, and it is great for bantams and shipped chicks. It isnt necessary, but I find it a great help to the chicks.

Get a bag of PINE shavings, nothing other than pine. For the first week use straw or pine covered with papertowels until the chicks learn to eat out of their food dish.

Get a red heatlamp, as the regular white heat lamps tend to make them peck eachother.

For the first week a large plastic tubberware container works around 18-30 gallon one. Or you could use a large cardboard box for the first week or two. Just make sure that the chicks cant get a draft. I have my chicks in a wire brooder, and I use two of those cardboards that children use for school projects, and stand them up around the brooder to protect them from drafts.

Have fun!

What breeds are you interested in or are getting?

How many chicks are you getting? I find I use maybe 2-3 bags of layer, and a bag or two of cracked corn for my chickens. Possibly more. But I have 14 large chickens and around 30 bantams. Plus 8 geese, and 17 call ducks.

SundownWaterfowl - lol thanks for the information. Well this spring my uncle is going to order me 23 chicks from ideal. Dont know what kind we are going to order yet still deciding, but I have some ideas. Also spydertoys is going to give me some chicks right now(think they are mixed orpingtons?) ....if I can EVER get my Dh to say yes oh and build me alittle coop. I wanted to get acouple right now just to test it out before we order 23.

Quote:
You know what a really nice breed is, Light Brahmas. I got some this spring to breed, and I have fallen in love.
love.gif
Very nice chickens. Docile, calm, big, and they started laying at 21 weeks.

Orpingtons are nice also. I like the colors they come in. Good Luck with you new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom