What do I package my birds in??

Quote:
this was the first thing I looked at, and I was willing to spend the money on the system and the bags. but then I was worried it would not work. and that I still was on square one with the turkeys. I am on a tight budget, so I didn't want to spend the money on something that may not work. knowing someone else has and is using this makes me feel better because that is a purchase I will make in the future :) so thank you for the info!!!

So glad you figures out, I From South of Ottawa Ontario
smile.png

Quote:
that is definitely an awesome tip. I was looking at them just today and I thought, this will never work...but they sure are big enough though!!!! Awesome you shared this, cause I think I am going to buy some and try a few with those bags and a few with the others and see which way I like better. thanks for sharing, learn something new every time I log on this BYC!!

Ema

On another note...anyone ever have issues with the meat getting discoloured, or freezer burnt? or other issues after packaging??

Quote:
meat king...what do you use??? I know in the Ottawa region there are more resources then this tiny town I am from, lol.

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with going to the processers. that way you can actually sell it if you wanted. doing it myself I cannot sell a single one. Occording to the OMAFRA(sp) website
roll.png
I haven't really gotten much info other than what is available through them.

I wanted to take mine to the processor but it is three hours away (one way) and three bucks per chicken, 5 bucks for turkey unless they are over 20lbs and then the price goes up. and then there is the cost of gas to go there and back and then go back a week or so later to get them, lol. its just cheaper to do it myself here at home.

I was always told we could sell poultry from our own farms at the gate as long as we did not go over the 300 mark, but the website says otherwise. so confussing.

I was told the 300 birds thing too.. But our proccser for $1.50 per bird.. They are $5.00 per turkey.. After 20 or 25 ponds price goes up. We did at 46 pounder there for 7 or 8 bucks. That sucks it's so much where you are,, Wre about 40 min. from place...
Right now we need a Form 300, withch is good for 300 birds per year at proccesser. I guess after that we need a different permit ?

Quote:
I think I will do that next year, in my town a lot of people have been asking me if I am wiling to sell them a bird or two, I have turned everyone down, told them why and they were surprised that the goverment would regulate back yard farms like that. Anyhow, I explained why, and I always get the well if you sell it to me I will never tell anyone. I then ask them if they are willing t pay the 25,000 dollar fine that comes for selling just one bird, lol.

next year I will get the form 300 and I will be all set!! :) Its so nice comparing stories with a fellow ontarian :)

I was wondering the same thing about packaging birds. We processed a bunch of muscovy ducks a few weekends ago and we had the 1 gallon freezer bags but to our surprise, the gallon freezer bags were too small. Looks like we needed 2 gallon freezer bags. I don't have a vacuum pack sealing system, so it's only freezer bags for me.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom