What do I package my birds in??

Ema

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
N. Ontario CANADA
SO I am looking to process for the first time since getting poultry and I know Shrink bags are the bags of choice when packaging. Sadly though the place I found here in Ontario Canada will only ship in bulk and can we say how ridiculous the price is!!!!

So I am looking for options and need help from people that have used other types of packagings.

I will be processing about 30 DP chickens and 7 turkeys (BBW)

what are my options, cause I know they do not make freezer bags large enough for turkeys lol....and I do not want my meat discolouring or getting freezer burnt.

thanks for any and all help that comes my way.

Ema

Freezer paper with a lot of Plastic wrap around to cover the turkeys? I think that would work. I used the kind of baggies with a twist tie, then ziplock freezer bag over that for the Cornish X I did this summer, (doing more this sat) and had no problems thus far. Every now and then I can find 2 gal ziplocks, would that be big enough for your turkeys?

Good luck!

Quote:
Call me crazy, but 99.9% of the time, buying in bulk is FAR the cheapest way to buy. Sure the overall dollars are more, but I guarentee that if you figure the price per unit cost... You'll sway thoughts.

If you plan to be in the butchering mode for the long haul, like we are... You might consider the additional upfront cost to save TONS in the future...

Quote:
Call me crazy, but 99.9% of the time, buying in bulk is FAR the cheapest way to buy. Sure the overall dollars are more, but I guarentee that if you figure the price per unit cost... You'll sway thoughts.

If you plan to be in the butchering mode for the long haul, like we are... You might consider the additional upfront cost to save TONS in the future...

yes I tend to agree in some areas of buying in bulk, but 1000 bags for nearly 700 dollars is darn right ridiculous, and that is just for one size, I need two different sizes....and that does not include shipping, which obviously would be a lot since I can assume 2000 bags would weight quite a bit. I spoke with the company this morning, and well lets just say I told them I would find another way.

I still haven't tried with Cornerstone though but I did hear they are cheaper...way way cheaper and that to me is much more worth it. :)

I am butchering this weekend, so I actually cannot wait for the bags to be shipped to me. I did go to a local butcher shop and turns out the manager of the butcher shop and I are old co-workers. He gave me the bags for the turkeys for free and I purchased 100 12lb bags for 4 dollars from him. In the end it all worked out, they are not shrink bags but they are meant fr the freezer :)

thanks again everyone,

Ema

Quote:

yes I tend to agree in some areas of buying in bulk, but 1000 bags for nearly 700 dollars is darn right ridiculous, and that is just for one size, I need two different sizes....and that does not include shipping, which obviously would be a lot since I can assume 2000 bags would weight quite a bit. I spoke with the company this morning, and well lets just say I told them I would find another way.

I still haven't tried with Cornerstone though but I did hear they are cheaper...way way cheaper and that to me is much more worth it. :)

I am butchering this weekend, so I actually cannot wait for the bags to be shipped to me. I did go to a local butcher shop and turns out the manager of the butcher shop and I are old co-workers. He gave me the bags for the turkeys for free and I purchased 100 12lb bags for 4 dollars from him. In the end it all worked out, they are not shrink bags but they are meant fr the freezer :)

thanks again everyone,

Ema

depends on how big your bags are... but we just purchased a box of 2000 2 lb hamburger packages for .10 cents each; which was $200 total.. We purchased them through a local butcher shop-- which meant 10 min of driving.. I would guess the whole box, about 1'x1.5'x6" to weigh maybe 10 lbs.

I find it hard to believe that they want .70 cents each for them... and you only have one supplier??

sounds like you have something though, but for our other readers????

Last edited:
I used a Food Saver with vacuum seal bags - their XL bags fit our giant Cornish Cross birds whole, but I don't know if they have bags large enough to fit turkeys...

If you have a a vaccu sealer, try contacting the company and seeing if they can help find the size you need.

As an aside this company may be able to help with very cost effective bags for your system. I buy there and they do work with my vacu sealer just fine.

You might try buying the big oven bags (you know for cooking in a bag?) and then put your turkey in that. Before you close it, dip the bag in a pail of water. As you lower the bag in the water (being careful not to get water into the bag!) the pressure of the water will push the air out of the bag. It's how things were done back in the day...

edited to add the tip for getting air out.

Last edited:
I just used large freezer bags for the whole birds and wrapped the parted ones tightly in a few layers of saran. If you have a Costco near you....if your down south you're ok...or you're remotely close to Sudbury, their saran works great. I'll ask a friend of mine where she got the bags we used for the whole birds.

Quote:

thanks again everyone,

Ema

depends on how big your bags are... but we just purchased a box of 2000 2 lb hamburger packages for .10 cents each; which was $200 total.. We purchased them through a local butcher shop-- which meant 10 min of driving.. I would guess the whole box, about 1'x1.5'x6" to weigh maybe 10 lbs.

I find it hard to believe that they want .70 cents each for them... and you only have one supplier??

sounds like you have something though, but for our other readers????

actually the price was higher than .70 cents per unit when divided. I almost fell over. I went onto the cornerstone website and I was appalled that a canadian company right here in my province would charge me soo much money its the only one I found listed for my province. But I know cornerstone will ship to me I just have to do it by phone since USPS shipping is not an available method for me. the prices are great through them. anyhow...they always say buy local buy canadian, but they just make it so darn impossible sometimes.

I got a second email from them and this time they told me that they forgot to add that they could only sell to me if I was a small business owner...uhmm in my OP to them I said I had a hobby farm, gues they really read my email....

oh well I found what I needed. the butcher shop inside the grocery store really helped me out, it was a plus that I knew the guy and that he charged me nothing for the turkey bags. I only asked for 8 but he gave me 20. and then the 12lb bags. 100 for 4.00 bucks, that was really cool, and those were regular priced. :) I am happy to say the least I was so worried I would have to put this off longer.

Ema

Back
Top Bottom