What Do I want to DO with my life!?

The bottom line is what do you want to be doing all day, 5 days a week.

Do you want to be on your feet dealing with people, or do you want to be mostly doing solitary work?

Do you want to be able to move from place to place and find a job?

Do you want to be on the computer or tinkering with machines?

These are the questions that are valuable to ask yourself. The daily activities of a career are important to like.

Should you choose to attempt to become a VET, be advised that it is HARDER to get into VET-School than it is to get into MEDICAL School...and there are fewer schools.

Nevertheless...have at it !!!

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

A lot of kids go into college for one thing and come out of it with a completely different thing...that's college and that is just life! Actually, there are statistics that show a high percentage of people switch majors in college and found what they enjoyed doing the most.

You will always have music....and that's good. But doing something that is close to your heart~ no matter how long it takes, how hard it is to get, or how much it costs~ is always better for your life's happiness. I say, "Go for it!"

Our daughter is a college professor. She works less than 40 hours and makes triple what I do. AND she has a month and 1/2 OFF at Christmas. Not to mention summer, various holidays, etc. Teaching can pay the bills and give you the time off to pursue what you love to do. Plus there are rewards in sharing what you are good at doing with others. When you see a student's face light up with the same flame burning in your heart for the love of music, then you will have satisfaction that no money can ever replace. Take a deep breath, regroup and go to school with a fresh outlook at your career. You have a gift and it would be a shame not to use it.

Do you play anything? Could giving lessons possible help with tuition costs?? Just an idear.

Better to change majors now, halfway through... than to pay for (time and money) a 4 year degree just to find yourself wanting to start from scratch... why not try taking a course just to see... ask your adviser maybe if there's a science/etc credit you need for your current degree that could be met by taking X class that also ties in with this new train of thought? Never know, may be able to have both.

DH was minoring in Physics... for the first half... but he HATES math... so he decided to switch to Classics... because it was something he's interested in, tied in well with his Philosophy major, AND because the credits he'd already taken, and what he had time to still take/still needed to take for major... well that was the logical choice... he did have to take ONE over... but that was because his adviser (he went through 5 in less than 2 years, not exactly on top of their game) told him this one class was totally okay for his major (not minor) and it turned out not to be... so he had to take another lit course that would count as the required lit credit... but other than that the minor switch (and that's a BIG switch) didn't cause any fuss at all.

Best best best of LUCK!!
big_smile.png

See if your school has a career counseling center. Ask to take a Strong Career Interest Inventory or an equivalent career assessment. Or pick up a copy of What Color is Your Parachute or I Could Do Anything If I Could Just Figure Out What It Was. Also, keep in mind that most people these days change jobs an average of 10 times. So whatever you choose now, you're not stuck with it forever.

Its a lot of pressure to maintain a high GPA while completing the Calculus, Physics & Chem. requirements and yes highly competitive to get into the program once completing these, but if its calling you...then I would go for it (I did, although my path changed along the way) I think its safe to say you'll never regret following your dreams:thumbsup

If you stay with music, aim high - for teaching, college or above. If you want to play, aim for the most aclaimed orchestras etc and play with them for experience. Most public schools these days cut funding for music and arts before anything else. Plan on being good at fund raising etc with a public school.

Do a little research on what will be in demand when you join the work force.

You should consider a secondary degree in another teaching field...... agri business maybe or vet tech, animal husbandry, health, life studies (home management, finances, etc) Something you enjoy and can still teach at the same schools (most teachers have to be able to teach more than one subject.) This will give you more options as well and still have the perks working in a school environment. You could always do music lessons at home on your own or for local colleges in evening classes, and work in something else. I would consider being a farm/large animal vet, or aviary vet, a standard pet vet has it's rough days that I would have a hard time with personally.

Just some thoughts...

As much as I loved my experience in Art school... it's really served me no purpose at all. I've had to work for experience to get where I am now. I wish I would have really thought more about what I should have studied to make money vs what I was really good at. I would have enjoyed making money in Art, but really in todays economy not to many people are buying art, knew I didn't want to teach, and didn't want to move to a big city or embrace the art world as it exhisted back in the 80's. I should have studied archetecture or some other more useful field than fine arts.

Last edited:
Hhmm. Good points all around. I don't hate teaching, and it's going to pay the bills. Unfortunately I don't play an instrument that's super popular (string bass) so it's harder to teach lessons than say a violin or a piano might be...
My university has a 98% placement rate during your first six months out of the MUED program, and a 99% placement your first year out, so it's nice not having to worry TOO much about finding a job.
I thought about maybe taking some classes, maybe ag science or vet tech courses, but unfortunately my small, rural school doesn't have any kind of courses like that. (ugh! Go figure.)
So it's hard for me to just up and leave, I love the professors, the university itself and my friends to purse a career I might not like...
But then I wonder if I'm settling for something because it's comfortable...
Which again makes me wonder, so what? What's wrong with being comfortable?
Ahhh...
roll.png

Life is hard.

I am 47. I have waited tables, worked retail, worked in Theatre, Theatre Ed (BA), worked as an archaeolgist (BA Anthropology), Now have a docorate in a medical field, and what I really want to do is raise chickens and sell eggs and sell the fresh produce I get with all the great manure my girls produce for me. I also want to hike the Appalachian Trail. But the student loans and bills still have to be paid! So it's back to the straight job during the day, and chickens, evenings and weekends!

Let God take you where he will. I have enjoyed everything I have done, and there was a time and reason for each of them.

Back
Top Bottom