what do mites look like on baby chicks?

nancymiller

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Western NC
I have some new baby cornish x birds, few days old that arrived from a hatchery. One is pecking at the area behind the wing and it is wet as well as some scab looking spots (tiny to see_) any ideas ? thanks for your help.

The pecking is something that can happen with or without the presence (sp?) of mites or lice. I hate to describe it this way but if you have ever seen human head lice that is kinda what bird lice/mites look like but a bit more clear looking. You can't mistake them for something else if you find them. They are usually found more around the vent (hiney) and under the wings. Pull back a wing so that you have a clear view of the underside of the wing and blow air into the feathers to separate them and then look at the skin. You might have to look really close in bright light but if they are there you will more than likely see them or at least you will see movement. I hope that helped a little. Overcrowding can cause picking as well as boredom and lack of nutrition.
If the pecking persists you will want to separate the bird being pecked on, clean the wound with clear water, and apply anti-peck lotion and let it heal before adding the bird back to the group.

Oops I almost forgot
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
welcome to BYC.
I use Permectrin dust into a nylon stocking
and powder all their
bum bums. it takes care of them all
red mites etc,,and clean their coops.
adding the dust to their floor with wood shavings.

hope this helps
Sissy

Back
Top Bottom