What do most of you do with surplus chicks/chickens?

VaM715

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Fincastle, VA
As this is my first year with my flock, due to recent broody hens and first time incubator use, my flock has gone from 21 chickens to 66 chicks/chickens. SInce I know my family will not consider eating them, what do you do with the surplus? Even though I am a diligent hunter, I hate the thought of my "babies" going in the pot. I know I can take some to the feal market, post them here and on Craigslist. Any other ideas?

Several cities have livestock auctions. Our poultry auction is every Tuesday morning. Do a search for local cities around you and see if they do that. You basically take your birds to the auction house the night before and they take down your info, auction off the birds and send you a check. The only bad thing is you don't get to pick where you chickens are going or meet the buyers.

What are surplus chicks/chickens? I've NEVER had any of those kind.
lol.png

If you sell them at the auction, you have to know that they may end up on someone else's pot. I keep all of my hens but have sold several extra roos to auction.

Offer them at your feed store, on craig's list, etc. also.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I get sick on my stomach everytime I think about 1 of my babies going in a pot!! I know that is what some do with there extra's. I just can't. I will be looking for some for ever homes for mine!

If I lived closer I would take those "surplus" chickens off your hands for you. DH might be mad for a minute or two, but, oh well.
But hey, a better idea, one I thought of for my neighbors.....give the neighbors about five or so each, but give time for them to get supplies.........and pass on the addiction! YAY!

I had an interesting meeting two weeks ago at a poultry club auction.

Turns out the guy raised exotic animals for pet shops (birds, turtles, snakes, etc.) and he takes extra chickens to feed his lion!

Check out your local zoo. You might find a buyer. (Oh please you softies, butcher your birds! That's what they're for. Or at least find someone else to do it for you.)

If they are pullets (standard) I sell them.
If they are roosters I give them away.

(non-show quality or culls).

I ask that they not be eaten to whomever I give the roos to.

Quote:
For the sake of argument, say I find someone to butcher two of by birds for me. What's this man or woman going to charge me to drive out to my place, get blood on themselves, and drive back to town? Perhaps $10 in gas, and $10-20 for both birds. Or, I could just buy two of those pre-cooked rotisserie chickens for $5 a bird next time I'm at the supermarket. So...not only do I not want the unpleasant job, it doesn't even pay for me to have it done! Butchering your birds only works if you are willing to do it yourself. Then, there is no doubt, that is what most chickens are for. For those of us who still get more chicken rearing enjoyment out of anthropomorphizing our birds, I'd have a hard time doing the deed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom