What do people do with boy chicks?

My boyfriend told me about this a while back. He'd read somewhere that technology is being developed that can actually determine the sex of the chick in the egg (I'm not sure at what stage of development this becomes effective). That way any unwanted males can be disposed of before they even hatch, so they're not ground up alive in a macerator. Apparently the public is beginning to find out exactly what happens to male chicks, and there's been some pressure on producers to find a more humane solution.

I agree with other posters that if you don't have a plan in place for any cockerels you hatch, don't let any eggs hatch!

Last year I hatched 15 eggs. Of those only 3 were pullets. So its not always 50/50. I have to feed my dogs a homemade diet due to health reasons so most are going to that end.

I agree that a plan should be in place before any eggs are set.

Side question to all of this. I have recently become interested and slightly more educated in the ways of ethical eating/farming. Slowly but surely I am making some changes to my family’s food sources. This includes raising our own chickens for eggs. I’m not brave enough to raise anything to butcher, I just can’t do it. This year I will be buying chicks from local breeders straight run and from ethically approved places (only by my standards anyways). I am at a loss of what to do with the boys. Everyone around here seems to be giving away roosters. So I can a) butcher myself - not going to happen. b) send them to be butchered - this will be difficult as they are our pets or c) give them away where goodness knows what will happen.

What is an ethical byf owner to do? Support possibly unethical hatcheries or break hers and her 4yr olds heart by “getting rid” of the boys.

I sent my 4 down to an Amish farm where I heard that one became a great wedding dinner. My other two were ornamental and two farms were willing to take them. I was lucky, farms rarely take people's unwanted chickens due to bio-security issues.

Side question to all of this. I have recently become interested and slightly more educated in the ways of ethical eating/farming. Slowly but surely I am making some changes to my family’s food sources. This includes raising our own chickens for eggs. I’m not brave enough to raise anything to butcher, I just can’t do it. This year I will be buying chicks from local breeders straight run and from ethically approved places (only by my standards anyways). I am at a loss of what to do with the boys. Everyone around here seems to be giving away roosters. So I can a) butcher myself - not going to happen. b) send them to be butchered - this will be difficult as they are our pets or c) give them away where goodness knows what will happen.

What is an ethical byf owner to do? Support possibly unethical hatcheries or break hers and her 4yr olds heart by “getting rid” of the boys.
I suggest sending them to butcher. There are many places that will do it for a fee.

It's a tough thing to do but the right one IMO. :( Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :hugs

Half or more chicks hatched will be males, destined for the table, or pet food, or something. Very few cockerels can be raised to be flock roosters, for everyone's sake.
I don't think it's unreasonable to teach children where food comes from, and about the nice life your home raised chickens will have before becoming dinner.
Food doesn't grow in plastic in the grocery store!!!
My chickens go to a local poultry packing plant in the morning, and return shrink-wrapped and chilled that afternoon. It's a good choice for me, and might be for you. Or, send them off to someone else.
Cockerels are best raised as cockerels, not as cuddly pets, anyway, from a behavioral standpoint. My 'keepers' get named, they are special.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom