What do people reccomend to use in a coop to prevent red mite 😊

annmarie1810

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
North east England
Hello hope everyone is keeping well :)

I am just wanting some advice please in regards to my Chickens shed which is being built..

What do people reccomend to use to try and prevent red mite ?

Thanks very much

DE won't prevent mites.
Keep rodents and wild birds out of your coop and run, that can help.
Don't use straw that's been stored where rodents and wild birds have access.

Do regular bugs checks of your birds and coop.
Have permethrin dust and/or spray on hand in case you find some bugs.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

:welcome :frow As @aart said. Maintenance is the best prevention. If you use most anything on a regular basis as a prevention, pests will became resistant to the treatment. I do keep permethrin on hand because it works for me. If I notice any lice or mite, I usually do 3 or 4 weekly treatments spraying inside the coops thoroughly, concentrating on cracks and crevices in the coops where mites can hide. Most products do not kill the pests eggs so weekly repeated treatments are needed. There is no egg withdrawal period with permethrin. If it doesn't work for some people then most likely they are not mixing the correct amount with the water. A benefit here is that it also keeps the flies under control. Everyone's situation is different. I use the concentrate and mix it in a gallon sprayer because I have several coops and if I treat one coop, I'm going to treat them all. I like the wand on the sprayer to reach into hard to get to areas. I also use permethrin poultry dust in the nest boxes. When I check my birds, I usually do it after they roost. I wear a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to check over the birds. I don't treat if there is no pests. Everything is available at my local TSC. Good luck...

Not only will diatomaceous earth not prevent mites, it is not good for a bird's respiratory system. Honestly, I don't know where the whole DE thing got started! :idunno

Lots of great advice has already been given above, so I won't repeat any. Good maintenance works. Period.

Last edited:
I am also just finishing my coop build and was wondering the same thing. I've read that whitewashing can help - but is a coating of lime on the walls healthy? Also wondering if painting the coop interior is helpful...?

There is no such thing as a preventative. I treat when I need to. I have some coops I have painted the inside and some I didn't. I have not noticed any difference. Wild birds and rodents bring in the pests.

Back
Top Bottom