What do Texas Blue scale quail eggs look like?

JHorn91180

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northeast KY
I have searched and searched the net looking for a pic and no luck at all. At best all I could find are vague descriptions most saying nothing about size. It would b awesome if some one could post a pic. Descriptions I have found have varied so much basically spotted but rounder then a bobwhite. Lots of quail lay spotted eggs so that don't help much either. Pics of an egg or eggs as an example would be greatly appreciated. Thank u

I've never seen one but I think they look similar to a california quail egg. Like a bobwhite but lightly speckled - not as heavily speckled as coturnix. Don't take my word for it though

Hmm maybe. I did find a site that sd thier eggs were covered in dark or light brown splotches after I posted this so was kinda pictureing a coturnix but maybe bigger or shapped different. thanks for your reply. Really hopeing somone post a pic. The info on blue scale eggs really varies from site to site in size and shape. I have a pair in a large aviary as info I read sd they were docile but wild but tend to get along with other species of quail. They like to perch alot and my corturix just run around in the bottom. Im worried I will not b able to tell thier eggs apart since cotunrix eggs really do vary in size and pattern quite a bit considering they are all just starting to lay thier first eggs. I do have bobwhite housed seperate (mean lil bugers) and know what thier eggs look like. Havnt got anythaing out of the large mixed pen that looks like that tho and so far these two species do seem completley compatable not even a bicker when the scales r down eating and caught the male scale mateing the coturnix hens a few times.

Thank you Peter from North Hills Quail Farm located in the UK. I emailed the farm and asked what the Texas Blue Scale quail eggs looked like or if they had a photo. He was nice enough to give me a quick reply and attached the photo saying the following:

"The attached picture is of Californian quail eggs but the Blue Scaled eggs look the same.
I hope it helps."

This is the best answer I have got so far and thank u jbobs. U were the only person on this forum who was nice enough or even bothered to reply to my post and even tho you didn't seem real sure, as it turns out your description and answer was exactly right. Al tho I have seen post where people discuss them stating they own them or have had them in the past but couldn't take a moment out of their day to answer a simple question. I have searched this quail forum fairly thoroughly and have not come across this question being asked b4. There is many threads discussing Texas Blue Scale quail, I did not come across any that showed a photo or even descriptively discussed their eggs. Even tho I had to go elsewhere to get a more definite answer to my own question. I am posting the pic and the answer in case another newbie to this species ask the same question. Now they can find the answer just in case they find most people on this forum too busy or less then helpful to a newbie as I did.
Btw as of today even if u google or do a yahoo image search of Texas Blue Scale quail eggs, no image of these appear. An image does appear showing several quail eggs but if u cant tell by looking and actually go to the site/source of the image its turns out they are Coturnix quail eggs.

I only have a pair but as soon as I get a few eggs from them (assuming that I do) I will add a photo of true Texas Blue Scale quail eggs to this thread.

This is the best answer I have got so far and thank u jbobs. U were the only person on this forum who was nice enough or even bothered to reply to my post and even tho you didn't seem real sure, as it turns out your description and answer was exactly right. Al tho I have seen post where people discuss them stating they own them or have had them in the past but couldn't take a moment out of their day to answer a simple question. I have searched this quail forum fairly thoroughly and have not come across this question being asked b4. There is many threads discussing Texas Blue Scale quail, I did not come across any that showed a photo or even descriptively discussed their eggs. Even tho I had to go elsewhere to get a more definite answer to my own question. I am posting the pic and the answer in case another newbie to this species ask the same question. Now they can find the answer just in case they find most people on this forum too busy or less then helpful to a newbie as I did.
Btw as of today even if u google or do a yahoo image search of Texas Blue Scale quail eggs, no image of these appear. An image does appear showing several quail eggs but if u cant tell by looking and actually go to the site/source of the image its turns out they are Coturnix quail eggs.

I only have a pair but as soon as I get a few eggs from them (assuming that I do) I will add a photo of true Texas Blue Scale quail eggs to this thread.

You seem to be aggravated that people are way too busy...to answer a question, not to sound crass, but a lot of us are. I raise quail, hundreds as a matter of fact. As well as tons of other birds too, so I don't sit in front of my computer waiting for that one question. I do however, get on often as time allows and help anyone that has questions that I know the answer to or will send them to the person that I know can answer.

Now having said that, I can only speak for myself for my "tardiness" to the quail board. If there were a poll I bet a lot of others would respond the same way. As Moby and others have indicated, there was a "quail war"...so this board isn't what it used to be. Part of the fall out was due to the fact that the same questions were being asked repeatedly and if folks mentioned to look through the stickies and search first...they would report that to the mods saying we were "flaming"...that is not the case at all! There are several folks here that truly care and want to help others be successful in raising their quail regardless of species.

So please ask away, you might have to wait a day or two, but rest assured when you do, a professional answer will come by and answer you. Or you could get the immediate answer from someone who has only 5 cots in shoebox they keep in their bedroom, feed cat food and chunked polar bears.

As others have said too in some of your other threads...feel free to PM anyone, that always helps if you have a specific question or emergency that needs urgent care.

BTW, welcome back!

Take care,
bf

Thank u so much bfrancis. Yeah your right sometimes I can be a bit impatient and wasn't here for these "quail wars". I'm lazy with the laptop and never actually log out just close windows when I'm done so people probably think I live on here lol. I do try to find a few minutes each day to check in tho and am probably just used to the speed of chicken threads. I have chickens, turkeys a herd of goats, a few dogs and cats, fish, pigeons and now quail. I also have a 5 year old son and elderly parents who live nearby that I'm always doing things for like running errands, mowing their lawn along with mine, home maintenance, getting them to appointments etc. Believe me I understand many of us work and live busy lives too. I'm thinking these "quail wars" must have been pretty serious for some of u guys. Looks like the forum lost members over it and others just don't wish to participate as much as they used too. Anyways I wanted to say thank u so much for posting pics of Blue Scale quail eggs. I still have yet to get one egg out of my pair. Now anyone in the future who has this question will have an answer if they just take a second to do a search and wont even have to ask.

Btw I am not at all trying to start another quail war but as a newbie I have to agree with u on if the question has been covered several times and there r several threads already containing the answer u seek. It is not flaming to tell someone where to find the answer but with that in mind it also depends on what u add too it or how u word it as well. It is faster to look and get your answer rather then ask and wait with your fingers crossed. That's just lazy in my opinion so if anyone does and couldn't find it u might want to add that to your post and someone can better direct u to the thread if it already exist. I can see myself posting a reply to let someone know to search and there are several threads covering this as well. They can report me to the mods as a big flaming **** all they want but still doesn't change the fact that the answer is there if they really wanted it. That being said and not saying u or pointing fingers but I also don't agree with members using that as an excuse not to help newbies when in fact it is a new question or was answered on one thread that's title had nothing to do with their question making it very difficult to find the reference with the answer. I also sometimes forget that we r not all adults and children like to join forums too. Again I wasn't there for the "quail wars" but to me it sounds like some adults decided to act like children on both sides. My goals r to learn here, to help when I can, to make new friends and maybe have a little fun while I'm at it. That's why I joined the forum. Lets all try to move past the "quail wars" while not forgetting the lessons the wars taught.

Last edited:
LOL well, I do what I can
cool.png

I do get busy a lot and will just disappear into the abyss for several days or longer from time to time. Right now I am on here all the time simply because I should be studying for finals and it gives me an excuse to procrastinate instead of study. As soon as finals are over and i have all the free time in the world I will probably just sit around for a week or so sipping pina colladas and not even turn on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom