What do the expert say about my new coop and plan?

gpamela3499

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Catawba NC
Here is my shed converted into a coop. It has a high roof that has large holes that a drop or two of rain can get through. The door is human size and on most days I take the pullets to the run for the day. I leave the door open for ventilation.

On rainy days the chicks will go to the run with a dog house like thing in it for warmth. I live in a mild climate zone in Ca. It rains mostly from Nov. thru Mar.

If the coop is not supplied with a light source can I use solar powered ones.? Between the hole in the roof (it keeps most water out and the chicks can get on the straw bales for dry places in case the floor gets too wet (unlikely) and the door being open its that enough ventilation?

I have 11 chicks
I hope most are pullets but some maybe roos they will not be staying.
1 Prod Red
1 white leghorn
2 stand blue cochins
2 mixed black Austrolorps
1 welsummer
1 plymouth rock

and bantams
1 cochin frizzle (unfrizzled)
1 mille fleur
1 sultan

23813_100_4557.jpg

Last edited:
im figuring this to be just fine i am located right over here on hayward in the east bay, i know we have gotten some rain the last couple days, but it wont be around for much longer, also like the other post the little drops will give the chickens something to play with lol and also the hole is good for vetilation even tho you have the door open the air does rise and you dont want it trapped up in the upper part of the coop, so i would say continue on your journey as you are doing just fine

The thing about the leaky roof is that your main worry is not a floor awash in water (which I agree is not likely under most circumstances), it's just an extra-humid coop (which IS likely). Yes, humidity is not as immediate a threat if you do not experience freezing temperatures, but it is still not good for them -- mold, respiratory disease, stink.

It is not hard to patch, or anyhow *mostly* patch <g>, a hole in a roof... I would really recommend investing twenty minutes in it.

Dunno what size your shed is, but I'd really recommend more ventilation too... unless that is a really big hole in the roof it is not contributing meaningfully to ventilation, and there will be times you don't want the door open (predators, rain from wrong direction), and even with the door open that's not much ventilation (and no thru breeze). Consider cutting some holes high under the eaves, or installing one or more windows, or both.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Is there a perch for them to sit on at night? Once all that straw gets wet (from the leaky roof) and pooped on (which will take them all of 3 or 4 days, to completely cover every inch), you're really setting yourself up for mold, mildew, stink, and ultimately, disease. I have straw in my coop, too (whith pine shavings and DE underneath it), but I have to change mine every week. You'll end up wasting all those bales, if you keep them in there.

Yes I do have perches for night time. The leak is a small one but I will fix it in the fall. We won't have anymore real rain until Nov. The straw will get moldy thats a given. We even get mold in our house if the beds are close to the wall.
sad.png

I leave the door open all the time and the chicks are in the run area all day. That I will have to clean all the time. They are in the coop from 7 ish to 8 ish. I would like to cut the vents on it but I am a renter and I live in a no chicken city.
roll.png

I do thank you all for the input. Last question if I continue to cover the floor with litter on top of straw on top of poop on top of dust etc. will the floor stay pretty clean. I might try poop tray also.

The deminsions are 12x12ft I think the coop is ok but I was thinking of letting the big chickens have run of the yard and bantam hens stay in the run as it is smaller and the bantams I heard fly very high. The large chickens with thier wings clipped should be ok to roam in the small backyard. My neighbors know about them except the neighbors in back
roll.png

Any other advise will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom