What do these vocalizations mean?

Tervuren

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Southern Idaho

The girls, mostly my Bielefelder (Nettie) and Cream Legbar (Fancy), make these weird creaking calls that sound like something out of Jurassic Park or a horror movie. In the linked video, it is evening right before they go to roost and this seems to be when they make these noises the most. I have also heard them do it when I check on them in the morning, when I get home from work, and when they were out foraging while I was gardening. There isn't much of a pattern that I can tell. I'm sure someone on this forum can clue me in to what this sound means. Thanks! 😄

Edit to add that they are just over 18 weeks

In this situation, it sounds like general chatter. Not too aggressive body language or posturing (with regards to the other hen). I would interpret this as, “Hello, Mama Chicken. I’m just going to hang out here on you for a bit.”
Now, if she started eyeing the other hen and showed ‘dominance’ body language (dropping head and lifting it while deepening that noise, and focusing on the other hen while lifting her feathers slightly), she might be warning the other girls away - my girls get very possessive of lap time with their mama 🙄.

The girls, mostly my Bielefelder (Nettie) and Cream Legbar (Fancy), make these weird creaking calls that sound like something out of Jurassic Park or a horror movie. In the linked video, it is evening right before they go to roost and this seems to be when they make these noises the most. I have also heard them do it when I check on them in the morning, when I get home from work, and when they were out foraging while I was gardening. There isn't much of a pattern that I can tell. I'm sure someone on this forum can clue me in to what this sound means. Thanks! 😄

Sounds like they are wondering and hoping if they are going to get a treat.

Thanks for the responses you guys! Love learning more about chicken behavior. <3
Mine have a few different vocalizations, one is when somebody is in the nest box that they want, really scream like the sky is falling down, the other one is that they all do all at once when a hawk is trying to get them they all call me screaming all at the same time!

Chicken chatter,
I once had a hen clalled Coco. She would talk to me whenever i called her nane. I always knew where she was. i would just call "Hey Coco" or closing the coop at night i would call "Coco, you in here?" She would launch in to loud verbal chicken chatter. And keep it up as long as i talked to her.
Gosh i Loved that bird!

You should hear my Black Australorp..right out of Jurassic Park..! Sounds like yours are concerned about getting a treat, if I had to guess..!

Back
Top Bottom