What do u think this is??.

Kashcraft

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2021
So, Ibought two 8 week old FBCMs yeatetday. 1 roo 1 pullet. The lady told me that the roo had an injury (scratched or pecked) in one eye as a babybut has always had Google eyes. The skin looks fragile and both eyes are watery.

I contacted the actual breeder (not the lady I git them from) and she said that the chick did have an injury to one eye but not both. The pullet appears healthy.

Attachments

• 20210130_120404.jpg
    20210130_120404.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210130_120358.jpg
    20210130_120358.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210130_120350.jpg
    20210130_120350.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210130_120347.jpg
    20210130_120347.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 15
Does the pullet have some sunken eyes too? Can you get a photo of her?

Both eyes swollen and I think I see some bubbles too, he may have respiratory illness like Mycoplasma, but without testing it would be hard to know.

Respiratory diseases can make birds carriers for life and they can spread disease even when not symptomatic.

Up to you whether you want to treat or not. If you do, then flush the eye with saline, remove any pus/debris and put Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Do this 2-3 times a day. Monitor for other symptoms. You may need an antibiotic as well. Tylosin will treat symptoms.

Personally, I would ask if they will take them back, if not I would cull them to hopefully eliminate bringing in disease to my existing birds. Not worth the risk to me, but others decide it will be o.k. and just treat as symptoms arise.

Does the pullet have some sunken eyes too? Can you get a photo of her?

Both eyes swollen and I think I see some bubbles too, he may have respiratory illness like Mycoplasma, but without testing it would be hard to know.

Respiratory diseases can make birds carriers for life and they can spread disease even when not symptomatic.

Up to you whether you want to treat or not. If you do, then flush the eye with saline, remove any pus/debris and put Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Do this 2-3 times a day. Monitor for other symptoms. You may need an antibiotic as well. Tylosin will treat symptoms.

Personally, I would ask if they will take them back, if not I would cull them to hopefully eliminate bringing in disease to my existing birds. Not worth the risk to me, but others decide it will be o.k. and just treat as symptoms arise.
The pullet is healthy with no symptoms at all! I looked for bubbles in the roos eyes but don't see any.

Yes...I will and post them today. Im in Kentucky. Also taking both chicks to the vet today....I hate to cull because they are from a reputable breeder with very very good FBCM stock. But I won't risk my flock if uts anything that will carry over to them.

Yes...I will and post them today. Im in Kentucky. Also taking both chicks to the vet today....I hate to cull because they are from a reputable breeder with very very good FBCM stock. But I won't risk my flock if uts anything that will carry over to them.
Oh good. Let us know what the vet thinks.
I look forward to the photos as well.

Haven't had a chance to take photos yet...but I will! The vet said one eye is injured and the bottom eyelid is turning in on itself causing irritation and said it will eventually need surgery or his eye will get ulcerated and it'll continue to get infected and will lead to losing his eye. He felt that the chick just has a basic sinus infection. He gave him two shots and sent me home with 2 more doses of each....Im sorry, I don't remember the names. He said to give 2 shots every other day x 2 more doses and then clean their cage and bedding really well. Then keep the two chicks quarantined for 2 more weeks....if the chick gets better, then bith can safely go in with the flock after quarantine. If it doesn't get better or gets worse, then it's probably more serious such as coryza or mycoplasma and we will need to cull or give them to someone who already has these diseases within a closed flock that will take them on.

It looks like Mycoplasma G. in my opinion. I would cull or return the chicks, don't let them near or around your healthy flock or else they'll get it too. Mycoplasma G. is a chronic disease that leaves birds carriers of it for life.

Haven't had a chance to take photos yet...but I will! The vet said one eye is injured and the bottom eyelid is turning in on itself causing irritation and said it will eventually need surgery or his eye will get ulcerated and it'll continue to get infected and will lead to losing his eye. He felt that the chick just has a basic sinus infection. He gave him two shots and sent me home with 2 more doses of each....Im sorry, I don't remember the names. He said to give 2 shots every other day x 2 more doses and then clean their cage and bedding really well. Then keep the two chicks quarantined for 2 more weeks....if the chick gets better, then bith can safely go in with the flock after quarantine. If it doesn't get better or gets worse, then it's probably more serious such as coryza or mycoplasma and we will need to cull or give them to someone who already has these diseases within a closed flock that will take them on.

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_154107.jpg
    IMG_20210202_154107.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210202_154015.jpg
    IMG_20210202_154015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Here is after 2nd dose of IM antibiotics today! He is looking so much better!

Attachments

• 20210203_145128.jpg
    20210203_145128.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210203_145111.jpg
    20210203_145111.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210203_145037.jpg
    20210203_145037.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom