WHAT DO WE DO?QUICK please !!**UPDATE:PICS!**

Run hot water in the shower till it steams up the bathroom really well. Then carry the incubator in there - quickly pull out the hatched chicks and close the bater back up. You won't loose the humidity . Put the bator back where it was before and the hatched batch in your brooder. You can use this method to get chicks out, remove dead ones, and so on.

whoops I should clarify. DO NOT PUT the incubator in the shower. Set it on the floor or wherever there is a safe, stable surface. The room is very humid so you won't lose humidity when you quickly open the bator and tend to your business.

But if the humidity is high already, couldn't I just open it and get the others out? The humidity jumps to 80-85% a lot....or is that still not enough time?

BTW UPDATE-The one that was pipped just now hatched
wee.gif
DH says he looks ok
ya.gif
.... That makes 22 chicks!
celebrate.gif
Now I have 11 eggs left that I don't think have pips yet.
idunno.gif
I'm hoping for the best...it's not even 24 hours late for hatching (if you go by literal 21 days) so...we still have hope for them yet
fl.gif

Last edited:
It is not uncommon for a hatch to span 2-3 days due to cooler spots in the incubator...Dont give up hope. Remove chicks that have been hatched for more than 24 hours as quick as you can useing either the hot towel or bathroom method and dont give up on the rest. They may just be slow hatchers. I would not give up till all the rest of the eggs are 3-4 days past the others.

A HAIR DRIER???????? What the heck! STOP blowing the hot air into the 'bator; the mini tornado/oven wind storm is not helping things at all......

Sit on your hands and just relax........ they will do their own thing on their own time.

Sadly, I've given up on the four eggs I still had kept hope for. It's been two days now and no peeping and no movement. So very sad. I cleaned out the bator today in preparation for the next egg arrival which is this Friday. Thanks for the comments and support. Let's hope we're successful with the next one. Good luck to all of you!

Last edited:
Hey, thanks to all your great advice, the hatch went pretty successful! 21 out of 36! (we are still holding out for eggs in bator, and 21st chick has possible unabsorbed yolk) Not to bad for our second hatch, eh?
wink.png
Anyway, here are the pics I promised!
78936_s2010064.jpg

They still stand on the thermometer, when they first got in the brooder they all scrambled onto the thermometer like the sawdust was poison.
roll.png

78936_s2010066.jpg

The one with the "eyeliner" is my baby. I love all my babies to peices
love.gif
, but that is my only welsummer's chick!(i think) I got my welsummer for one of my graduations.

78936_s2010067.jpg

Eating there chickie food. They are savages with the food!
lol.png

78936_s2010068.jpg

Group pic!!!!
wee.gif

78936_s2010069.jpg

"I wanna close-up!"

Aww! They all look so healthy! I hope the one with the unabsorbed yolk is alright! I also hope some more hatch!
wink.png

Good luck with your chickies! Will you be keeping them all? Just wondering because I have 2 dozen developing in the bator now and 2 dozen mail order chicks coming 2 days after the others are supposed to hatch! Not sure what I'll do with all of them all but I can't seem to stop!

Oh! Haha You have a brave dad! Mine wines and complains about the animals all the time but secretly he loves them as much as we do (Shhh... I didn't just say that k?
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom