What do we need to know to raise 8 baby chicks?

I brood my chicks in a galvanized 100 gal stock tank. I line the bottom with puppy pads for the first couple of days then put a layer of large pine shavings over the puppy pads. I always line with the puppy pads. Makes cleaning much easier. I use an elevated waterer so they don't poop in it. They still manage to get a few shavings in there though. I also put in a small perch. Gives them something to play on and some like to sleep up there. I brood mine inside. The first week they have heat all the time. Then next week only at night. And then no more light. I am in NY but we dont have many days below 90. If they are outside I wouldnt think heat would necessary at all during the day. You have to make sure they arent too hot.also I treat with corid as soon as I get them home. I had a couple babies that died from coccidiosis at a week old. I wait til 6 weeks to put my chicks outside. We have a lot of predators where we live. I have a tween coop where they live until they are 10-12 weeks. I have never had an issue with integration. Ive been crazy lucky. I normally put them in with the big chickens mid day. I feed starter until they about 6 weeks. I feed my whole flock a grower feed that is made locally with free choice oyster shell. I have a 1/4 acre fenced in area with 2 coops. One they use for nesting the other the goats sleep on top of lol. They all roost in the giant pine tree in their yard. This was their choice not mine. ive got 26 birds in there right now and there is plenty of room for them to spread their wings. Definitely make sure they have lots of space. I think that's the key to peaceful integration. The first picture is of my 2 coops (goats included) and the giant roosting tree. The second is my brooder set up. I have a new waterer now though. I normally wait til they are about a week old before I put the perch in.

Attachments

• 20200619_132110(1).jpg
    20200619_132110(1).jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200612_151340.jpg
    20200612_151340.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 2
You know, I would also like to add that I put newspaper or brown paper on the bottom of a plastic tub, and so they don’t hurt their legs, I put the plastic kitchen shelf matting in it over puppy pads. It seems like a lot of layers, but it cleans up so fast! I take the shelf matting out and wash it off, replace the puppy pads if they need it and dump out any old food and Poo that gets underneath.

Back
Top Bottom