1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do yall think about these guys.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crazyelk, Apr 24, 2009.

1. crazyelk

crazyelk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Kentucky
    Don't know much about Marans but I know that I am about to pay a pretty penny for this trio and I was wondering what yo guys thought. Do they look to be good quality, are they pure, and what else should I be looking for?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Jason

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    There is no American standard for them so to a large extent quality is in the eye of the beholder. I was under the impression that the interest in Marans had more to do with egg colour than the appearance of the birds themselves.
    Typically when you talk of a trio the reference is to 3 birds of the same variety is it not?

3. crazyelk

Aug 25, 2008
    Kentucky
    Are you implying that these are not the same variety and if they are not, what varietys are they. I am going to travel a bit and pay a real dandy price and I want to make sure what I am getting before I do this. I plan on meeting in the morning.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I am pretty sure they are referring to the fact that chicken #3 is obviously not the same as chickens 1 and 2.

5. crazyelk

Aug 25, 2008
    Kentucky
    so as long as she lays the dark brown egg does it matter?

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Wellllllllll...........that depends on what you are doing with those dark brown eggs. If you are selling them as Black Copper Marans eggs (I guess that is what the first two are?), then YEAH, it matters a LOT!!!!

7. crazyelk

Aug 25, 2008
    Kentucky
    This guy that I am thinking about buying them from is advertizing them as black copper marans. I have called and emailed and he tells me that they are pure bread black copper marans. So what would yo do?
    http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/1135940776.html

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, I know NOTHING about Marans of ANY color, but I do know my colors and there is nothing black or copper about that last chicken. I have no clue if they can turn out that color but I would certainly have my doubts. Have you seen any eggs from these guys? I would not buy them with one looking like that, personally.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I say pass!

$75 for what look to me like mutt chickens that aren't even in good condition... [​IMG]

Do they have pics of their eggs??

I'm very sceptical of most anyone selling "marans", lots of people jumped on the band wagon.

There are several members here that have nice marans.

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by