What do ya'll think about this??

Bisqit&Gravy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
I've been looking for something to use as a chicken house other than what I'm using now for Mo and his 2 ladies.

I have this cabinet that's been in my garage since I bought the house. It's tall enough for standard size chickens and about 6-8 ft long. It is not used b/c of the mouse problem and never will be used out there. While I was cleaning their temporary sick pen in the garage I got a brain storm about this cabinet. The hubby thinks it's a bad idea b/c when it gets wet it'll be ruined. I'm guessing he's never really looked at it b/c it's not that cheap press wood.

Here's what I'm thinking......
Put a back on it with one open spot at the top for ventilation.
Line the bottom with lineloum.
Take apart the drawers.
Install hardware cloth over the holes and put hinges on front part of the drawers to turn them into little doors that can be opened for ventilation.
Possibly taking out both shelves or just one and adding a perch for them.
Put latches on all doors for safety at night.
Painting it with a really good outdoor paint.
Maybe using one of the 2 laminate counter tops that's already on it for the roof but turning it around where the raised end is on front and tilting it backwards for drainage...I'm not sure how well it would hold up outside???
When it's done it'll be set on blocks. They would have room in it for a heat source unlike what they have now. Think it will work??

Picture-1.jpg

Usually I'm all for recycling and reusing, but MAN, that's a nice cabinet, especially if it's made out of good wood...
hmm.png
It's your stuff to do with as you like, but I see it more as a storage cabinet inside the "shed" area of a larger coop rather than a coop on its own.

I would love to use it as storage but since it took me 6 months to find a new job, can't afford to build a large coop. I thought it would work for 3 chickens. There will be no more chickens added to them either.

You may want to think about posting an ad on craigslist with a picture of the cabinet. You may find someone in your area who could build you something and would be willing to trade it for the cabinet for their workshop or barn. It seems like your plan would work, but you may be able to get something a little more suited for the task by trading it away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom