1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you advise me to do about bad eggs? Nevermind...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

So, as you can see from my post a few minutes ago, I now have had to throw out two eggs of the 12 Bantam Salmon Faverolles that I received on Friday. Now everything smells bad, and I think I should just throw out the rest of them and save the 'bator. Any other suggestions?

Now that the 'bator is kinda smelly, it's pretty hard to tell if any or all of the other eggs also smell bad themselves, or if they've just been permeated with that bad smell from the really bad and oozing one.

I'm kinda inclined to just let them all go. My faith in the seller is such that I now expect them to just keep frumping out one at a time over the next few days anyway....

Whaddya think?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    You have paid for the eggs and should see if you get any to hatch!
    I would wipe down the eggs that are sticky and cover with a towel to keep them warm.
    Then clean the incubator and reset the eggs!
    Worth a try, right?

3. SusanJoM

Quote:Good idea, but.....I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I tossed them all, took the bator apart and threw it all into a hot soapy bathtub.

I'll try to get my money back from the seller....complain to Paypal or whatever I have to do.

You are probably correct that I could have saved some, but....the risk just seemed too high to me....

Susan

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    can I ask what day you were on with the eggs ???

5. SusanJoM

Quote:Six

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    wow, that is kind of early for them to go bad. I wouldn't be too happy wth the seller eiher [​IMG]

Krista

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If you go them online there's so many things that could go wrong with the post office that you can't really blame it on the seller. They may have gotten scrambled or baked in a hot truck. Shipped eggs are always a risk. It's something you have to accept. Some sellers will replace an entirely lost batch for the cost of shipping but none offer a gurantee.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I sell eggs on ebay and eggbid, and Guarantee all eggs will be received unbroken. That how sure of my packaging.

Can not guarantee they will hatch. No way eggs should be received all ready spoil. Seller fault unless it took week in shipping.
    You can test this let egg set at room temp,for 5 day.None will spoil to that point.

Yes shipping very hard on hatching eggs. If you can get 50% hatch you are doing good.

Find how seller store them, how many time a day do they gather, do they turn them?? How old at time of shipping?

I will never buy egg if they will not stand by there packaging.
    The usps will sell you insurance,but wil not cover broken eggs.
    Seen some seller hiding behind the no Guarantee. USPS not alway the fault.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by