What do you all do with your roosters after hatching?

Jonny

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 28, 2010
Northern New Mexico
I have a question.. I am hatching my first chicken eggs, and I'm curios to learn what other users in here do with their roosters? I might keep one, not sure yet, but what about all the others that might come.. Where I live there is no chicken/rooster rescue. Any ideas? I'd hate to give it to some jack ass who raises roosters for cock fighting.

After they've grown to the point I know whether they have the potential to be one of my breeding roos I take the others to my local poultry auction to sell them.

Might be in your best interest to eat them.
smile.png

Eating is not for everyone. Now, you should eat a few roosters if you have a LOT leftover, and those should be the ones that are not very good quality for their breed- people will not want those. You can sell the ones that are good quality here or to people you know. No one is going to buy a rooster that is bad, or "hatchery" quality, but they will trample you for one that looks good. Good luck with your hatch!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Me too. Some of the best meat i've ever eaten.

X4

It's definetly something to think about if you want to hatch chicks. There are always more roos then are needed and I'm with sourland on this one. Another option is to make a bachelor pad for the extras, but if you do much hatching you'll still eventually run out of room for more roos.

Last edited:
Quote:
Then don't raise the breeds of chickens that are used for cock fighting.

I eat my excess roosters and pullets. You can usually give them away but when you do, you lose control over them.

If you are going to hatch chicks, you really need a plan. Trying to come up with one after the eggs are in the incubator is a little late.

Back
Top Bottom