What do you all do with your roosters after hatching?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jonny, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Jonny

Jonny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    I have a question.. I am hatching my first chicken eggs, and I'm curios to learn what other users in here do with their roosters? I might keep one, not sure yet, but what about all the others that might come.. Where I live there is no chicken/rooster rescue. Any ideas? I'd hate to give it to some jack ass who raises roosters for cock fighting.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

After they've grown to the point I know whether they have the potential to be one of my breeding roos I take the others to my local poultry auction to sell them.

3. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Might be in your best interest to eat them. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Treat them kindly, feed them well, eat them when they mature.

5. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas

Me too. Some of the best meat i've ever eaten.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Eating is not for everyone. Now, you should eat a few roosters if you have a LOT leftover, and those should be the ones that are not very good quality for their breed- people will not want those. You can sell the ones that are good quality here or to people you know. No one is going to buy a rooster that is bad, or "hatchery" quality, but they will trample you for one that looks good. Good luck with your hatch!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA

Me too. Some of the best meat i've ever eaten.

X4

It's definetly something to think about if you want to hatch chicks. There are always more roos then are needed and I'm with sourland on this one. Another option is to make a bachelor pad for the extras, but if you do much hatching you'll still eventually run out of room for more roos.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Then don't raise the breeds of chickens that are used for cock fighting.

I eat my excess roosters and pullets. You can usually give them away but when you do, you lose control over them.

If you are going to hatch chicks, you really need a plan. Trying to come up with one after the eggs are in the incubator is a little late.

10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

My feed store will 'buy' them from me keep them in the back and offer to people they know as re-sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by