What do you all think about Euthanasia?

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
What do you all think about Euthanasia?

We have a guy here who has locked-in-syndrome. He is challenging the medical profession for the “right” to die. In other words he wants someone to kill him because he can't cope with the disabilities he now has and what way that will and is affecting him, his life and his family. Perhaps I am missing something here – but maybe he isn’t as “locked-in” as he thinks he is as he is on Twitter and Facebook etc. And can communicate by using his computer? It would be interesting what others think on this subject?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18495973

Oesdog

I think that if there is no medical cure or working treatment and the disease is fatal, causes unbearable pain, or lessons the quality of life to the point the person can no longer care for themselves it should be allowed. Of course this is with a doctors oppion or several oppinions. We after all give our pets a dignified end when it comes to this. Why should our loved ones be any differant.

If we can give our animals a dignified death when their time comes or when their sickness is not curable, then why can't we for ourselves? I am completely for human euthanasia. I have a living will with a do not resuscitate clause. I don't wish to be kept alive in a way that will be a emotional or financial burden on my family.

I think that if there is no medical cure or working treatment and the disease is fatal, causes unbearable pain, or lessons the quality of life to the point the person can no longer care for themselves it should be allowed. Of course this is with a doctors option or several opinions. We after all give our pets a dignified end when it comes to this. Why should our loved ones be any differ ant.

I agree 100%!!

I believe, that as adults, we should be free to do anything we want to ourselves as long as we are not physically hurting anyone or taking someones property. If you want to do drugs, smoke, endanger your own life, or even kill yourself, that is your right. But with these rights and freedoms comes personal responsibility. If I was not physically able to kill myself, I would not ask someone else to do it. I have read case studies on locked in and seem to remember a good portion of them dying soon after diagnosis. I also remember reading about people who had spontaneous recovery but those people didnt have it as a secondary condition like having a stroke first. I dont believe we need most laws and I support your friends right to make his own decisions. Personally, I think that God put me here for lessons. One of those lessons may be dying a painful death and to keep learning right up until my last breath. So I wouldnt choose to euthanasia.

If I can pick the list of people to get it then I'm for it.

old.gif

I'm all for it if someone is suffering. There is NO reason that we should have to suffer and linger on in pain before we die.
Why make someone try to do to themselves and they botch it up and then suffer even more when a doctor can do it right for us?
Hell, we do it to criminals.. why not suffereing people that are asking for it?

I was completely against it until I watched Terry Pratchett's Choosing to Die documentary. (You can find the full program on YouTube). He actually went out and interviewed people who had chosen to go to Switzerland, where assisted suicide is legal. I've also talked to my Grandfather, who lost two wives to cancer, and at the end both were in so much pain that they begged for death but there was nothing that could legally be done for them. While I don't think I could go through with it, I think that each person knows what he/she can handle and when it becomes too much perhaps a dignified end is better than prolonged pain and humiliating degeneration.

Back
Top Bottom