What do you breed to get sizzles What do you breed to get frizzles? Confused

debchick

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Missouri
I have read alot of different threads but just want to get this right so I know what I need for spring breeding program.
What roo and hen will produce sizzles and what roo and hen will produce frizzles? thanks in advance

I believe the frizzle gene gets passed on, so one carrying the gene but has smooth feathers can produce frizzled off-spring. I am still learning the whole genetic passing stuff, so hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.
you and me both LOL

I believe the frizzle gene gets passed on, so one carrying the gene but has smooth feathers can produce frizzled off-spring. I am still learning the whole genetic passing stuff, so hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.

Yep, the frizzle gene is suppose to be in all the chicks, and they are suppose to be able to produce frizzle offspring, 50% or less with the frizzle feather but all will carry the gene. A Sizzle is a Frizzle Cochin crossed with a Silkie. The offspring can look frizzle, silkie or sizzle and can have regular feet or five toes. All of my Sizzles have black skin, 5 toes and lovely frizzled feathers that wrap upward around their head that the frizzles do not have.

* The one important thing I found out was to never breed two frizzled birds together. You can get more frizzle chicks that way but some of them will likely be double or super frizzle. Nice sounding name but not very pretty or healthy birds. They have less feathers, bare patches of skin and high rate of skin problems, sunburn easy and can not tolerate cold weather. I had a super frizzle I purchased as a chick from an irresponsible breeder. I got several chicks at once, they do not show the frizzle right away, the super frizzle looked like all the other chicks until he got bigger then he was the only one to show frizzle, the others are all smooth feathered. The Super Frizzle we fondly called him "Ugly" rooster, did produce more frizzle chicks then the smooth frizzle rooster but he had bright red patches of skin, chilled easy and I always had to worry about him getting too much sun or getting too cold. He was a horn-dog and chase the ladies all day long, even in the worst weather. Unfortunately he died suddenly, without warning, at 18 months of age, we opened all the coops in the morning and he was just laying there dead.

I don't really have too much more knowledge but have been breeding Frizzled Cochin for a couple years now. When my 3 White chicks arrived I did notice they had purple markings, like a bruise, on their shoulders right above the wing, all of their chicks have the same markings. A smooth Cochin with the frizzle gene bred to another smooth Cochin with the frizzle gene will produce some frizzle chicks but mine do not produce at the 50% rate most sights say they will. My breeders are a white rooster and hen with the frizzle gene and black and buff hen Cochin hens. I have gotten white and black chicks both frizzle and smooth but never a buff one. The buff hen produces a multi-colored (mix of gray, light brown and buff) chick every time, all of them are smooth feathered. I have black Sizzles now and this year I did get one gray chick but do not know which hen produced the gray chick and it was not frizzled. I am just starting to look into breeding colors to produce certain other colors.

One of my Black Sizzle hens was in a pen with several purebred bantams this Spring and the eggs were accidentally collected and hatched. One of the chicks is an obvious Sizzle cross because it has 5 toes but no frizzle or silkie feathers and it is white with spots, like a splash. The rooster who could have fathered it are the Super Frizzle, a Black tailed white Japanese, a Mille Fleur and a Red Breasted Old English. Most of the chicks produce look distinctly like two crosses but this white with spots is a little baffling.

Frizzle genetics are complicated. Frizzle is expressed with one copy of the gene Ff (it is dominant, F). However 2 copies (FF) leads to offspring with poor feather quality and possibly other internal problems, so you should never breed 2 frizzles together.

If you breed a frizzle Ff to a non-frizzle FF the offspring should be 50:50 frizzle Ff and non-frizzle FF. The non-frizzles should not carry the frizzle gene. However (remember I said this was complicated) -

Some birds that are genetically frizzle Ff will appear smooth. That is because there are other genes at work that interfere with the expression of the frizzle gene. So instead of averaging 50:50, you probably will get more smooth birds than that. Some of these smooth appearing birds, though, will carry the frizzle gene (Ff genetically). The rest are regular smooth birds (FF), do not carry frizzle, and will not have frizzle offspring unless bred to a frizzle.

Yep, the frizzle gene is suppose to be in all the chicks, and they are suppose to be able to produce frizzle offspring, 50% or less with the frizzle feather but all will carry the gene. A Sizzle is a Frizzle Cochin crossed with a Silkie. The offspring can look frizzle, silkie or sizzle and can have regular feet or five toes. All of my Sizzles have black skin, 5 toes and lovely frizzled feathers that wrap upward around their head that the frizzles do not have.

* The one important thing I found out was to never breed two frizzled birds together. You can get more frizzle chicks that way but some of them will likely be double or super frizzle. Nice sounding name but not very pretty or healthy birds. They have less feathers, bare patches of skin and high rate of skin problems, sunburn easy and can not tolerate cold weather. I had a super frizzle I purchased as a chick from an irresponsible breeder. I got several chicks at once, they do not show the frizzle right away, the super frizzle looked like all the other chicks until he got bigger then he was the only one to show frizzle, the others are all smooth feathered. The Super Frizzle we fondly called him "Ugly" rooster, did produce more frizzle chicks then the smooth frizzle rooster but he had bright red patches of skin, chilled easy and I always had to worry about him getting too much sun or getting too cold. He was a horn-dog and chase the ladies all day long, even in the worst weather. Unfortunately he died suddenly, without warning, at 18 months of age, we opened all the coops in the morning and he was just laying there dead.

I don't really have too much more knowledge but have been breeding Frizzled Cochin for a couple years now. When my 3 White chicks arrived I did notice they had purple markings, like a bruise, on their shoulders right above the wing, all of their chicks have the same markings. A smooth Cochin with the frizzle gene bred to another smooth Cochin with the frizzle gene will produce some frizzle chicks but mine do not produce at the 50% rate most sights say they will. My breeders are a white rooster and hen with the frizzle gene and black and buff hen Cochin hens. I have gotten white and black chicks both frizzle and smooth but never a buff one. The buff hen produces a multi-colored (mix of gray, light brown and buff) chick every time, all of them are smooth feathered. I have black Sizzles now and this year I did get one gray chick but do not know which hen produced the gray chick and it was not frizzled. I am just starting to look into breeding colors to produce certain other colors.

One of my Black Sizzle hens was in a pen with several purebred bantams this Spring and the eggs were accidentally collected and hatched. One of the chicks is an obvious Sizzle cross because it has 5 toes but no frizzle or silkie feathers and it is white with spots, like a splash. The rooster who could have fathered it are the Super Frizzle, a Black tailed white Japanese, a Mille Fleur and a Red Breasted Old English. Most of the chicks produce look distinctly like two crosses but this white with spots is a little baffling.
thank you for replying. I have a frizzled bantam roo 3 frizzled hens 1 smooth bantam roo w/frizzle gene 1 smooth hen w/frizzle gene. 3 sizzle hens 1 smooth sizzle hen. I also raise silkies. Was wondering if I need to get bantam hens to breed my frizzle to or can I breed him to the smooth hen with the frizzle gene. Im thinking no because I could get some frackles which arnt good Right?
I also thought if they had 5 toes they were sizzles . i just hatched some chicks from my sizzle and silkie hens that were breed by a cochin roo. everyone of the chicks have 5 toes on each foot. thank you for your time answering my questions. It gets a little confusing. Could I breed a sizzle to a frizzzle?

Frizzle genetics are complicated. Frizzle is expressed with one copy of the gene Ff (it is dominant, F). However 2 copies (FF) leads to offspring with poor feather quality and possibly other internal problems, so you should never breed 2 frizzles together.

If you breed a frizzle Ff to a non-frizzle FF the offspring should be 50:50 frizzle Ff and non-frizzle FF. The non-frizzles should not carry the frizzle gene. However (remember I said this was complicated) -

Some birds that are genetically frizzle Ff will appear smooth. That is because there are other genes at work that interfere with the expression of the frizzle gene. So instead of averaging 50:50, you probably will get more smooth birds than that. Some of these smooth appearing birds, though, will carry the frizzle gene (Ff genetically). The rest are regular smooth birds (FF), do not carry frizzle, and will not have frizzle offspring unless bred to a frizzle.
say what LOL oh boy thats alot of genetic info there. Just don't want to breed anything that would result in poor feather condition or other issues. thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom