What do you call this cross breed(BRroosterXRIRhen)?

mispollitos

Songster
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
What is a Barred Rock Rooster crossed with a Rhode Island Red Hen called? I think that's what kind of chicks we bought...thanks!

crossing one breed to another does not constitute a "new" breed. You may call it whatever you like. Specifically you'd call it a BR, RIR cross or a combination of the two names.
Like a , Barred Island, or a Brock Island Red, or a Brhode Red, or a Bred.
As far as I know there are no "specific" names for crosses such as this. I could be wrong and would be interested to know if I am.

didn't see the previos post, nice looking bird, but is it a layer or dual purpose or a meat cross? What's the point?

Last edited:
What they are calling "Red-Rocks" is more commonly known as a Black Sex Link. They are the result of a cross between a RIR roo and BR hen. The female chicks hatch out black and the male chicks hatch out black with a white dot on their head. The females are normally black with red leakage on their neck and breast feathers, but I have seen some that had a lot of red throughout their body. The males look a lot like a BR roo, but their barring is not as clean and they have a lot of red leakage in their feathers. To obtain a BSL it has to be a RIR roo(or any red roo) and a BR hen. The hens can only pass on their barred pattern to their sons, as a result the female chicks will be black which is why they are called Black Sex Links, because they can be sexed as soon as the hatch. If you cross a BR roo with a RIR hen then all of the chicks will be barred with red leakage throughout their feathers. Sorry for the genetics talk, but just wanted to clarify things for everyone.

oops Birdnut, I was asking for the flip of what you posted
wink.png
The Barred Rock is the rooster and the Rhode Island is the hen, not the other way around. I'm looking for more pictures and information on how to sex them.

Quote:
Woudn't that be pretty darn close to the Delaware color pattern? Delawares are the result of BR Rooster crossed with a New Hampshire Hen. Sometimes RIR were used to produce the same pattern.

I found this old link which helped me to identify my chicks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3674089

My chicks look like this:
68866_photo-23.jpg

and the roos end up looking like this:
68866_photo-34.jpg

The seller said the hen is Rhode Island Red...which has led me to believe the rooster is in fact a Barred Rock. I'm so excited!!! But wondering what the mix is called so I can research it more
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
The birds in picture 2 look to be all roosters and some type of Old English Game Bantam cross..

Chris

Quote:
They are genetically similar to a black sex linked chicken. The only difference is that the females will carry silver and not the gold gene. The males are genetically the same as a black sex linked male.

In genetic language, it would be an F1 Barred Rock X Rhode Island Red.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom