What do you clean the waterer with?

Some of how an how often depends on your philosophy. I don't try to keep my chicks or chickens in a sterile environment where they cannot strengthen their immune system, I expose them at a very young age to the environment they will be living in later so they can start developing immunities while chicks. I go so far as to take dirt from their run and feed that to them every few days while they are in the brooder to help strengthen their immune system. I think I'm outnumbered in this thread.

I don't know what type of waterer you have, that can make a difference. If you use nipple waterers and the reservoir is sealed so mosquitoes can't lay eggs in it you can go a long time between cleaning. If the chicks can poop in it the waterer needs dumping on a daily basis. I use a pet bowl with rocks in it to keep the chicks from drowning. That gets dumped and refilled daily. I generally do not scrub it out or use any cleaner in it until after the chicks are out of the brooder, usually at five weeks, but I do rinse it out well each time I refill it. Then I wash it well with a bleach solution to get it ready for the next time.
My philosophy on chickens is simply, your chickens, your way. Lots of people take the approach that you have.

I only scrub out my waterers in the summertime, when they get really nasty. My birds prefer drinking straight out of puddles. The muddier the water, the better they like it. For 8 months of the year, the waterers get ignored by the birds completely.

And if the puddle is not muddy enough they will scratch in it to get it the right color and consistency. :old

Omg! Lol! I was raised in a house where we kept indoor birds. All different kinds, and up to 17 at a time. All birds love poop water for some reason... Maybe it's like when people put flavorings in their water to make it taste like something other than water.

Hi there!

So, last evening we came home with 9 adorable baby chicks! 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 3 Speckled Sussex! The lady at Rural King says they are all around 2 weeks old, and they are all happily playing, napping, eating, drinking, and making messes!

From what I've read, it seems you are supposed to clean and scrub their waterer out everyday, but I can't figure out what type of cleaner you are supposed to use:

Regular Orange-scented Dish Soap?
Unscented Castille Soap?
Or is just Vinegar enough?

I see that some folks use dish soap on their adult hen's waterers, but is it okay for our little ones?

Thanks and Blessings!!
I raised chickens from 5th grade all the way through high school, and the started again about a year ago. I have never cleaned a waterer every day. On the rare occasions that I do "clean" a waterer it is nothing more than a good rinse with clean water and a little brushing or wiping if necessary.

I use an enviro cloth made by Norwex. No soap or chemicals needed. It's been tested and proven to more effective then bleach and other cleaners. I no longer use any chemicals to clean. I use Norwex for everything.

If anyone is interested I know someone that sells it. Nothing like supporting the little people:)

I give a soap wash if it seems like it needs a soap wash. If there is a bit of bacterial scum, I use a drop of soap and some hot water. Generally, a daily rinse is sufficient.

However, I want to take a moment to put in a plug for the use of Poultry Nutri Drench. All my chicks get PND. Daily for the first week, then every 2 - 3 days for week 2, and 1 - 2 x/week for the remainder of the first month.

The waterer must be cleaned/rinsed out daily if you add anything to the water as those extras can cause bacterial growth.

My waterer is fully enclosed now, an igloo water dispenser with a tap and drink installed. The only times I feel the need to clean it is when it begins to grow algae, or when my girls were sick with fowl pox, at which point I used a tiny bit of bleach.

Thank you all so much!
I think I'll just rinse and wipe it down really well then, and save soap for if it looks really gunky or something. I'm putting some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, so I think the acetic acid in that should also help keep it clean!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom