What do you do for food? At night?

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
so I been putting the ladies in the coop with a small feeder and water.
And have a larger water and feeder in run.
The food is hanging from a rope about 10 inches off ground.

Do you have mice eating the food?

What do you do to deter mice and rodents?
Just curious what people do with food and night.

I just been leaving food there all the time. And now I been thinking I shouldn’t do that.
Although if we travel the food will be there for a few days.

I only keep water in the coop. Food and calcium in the run but the pop door is never closed so they can access it as soon as they come off the roost. Rodents can't get in my coop and run as it is secured with 1/2" hardware cloth.

I leave feed and water in both coops 24/7.
My coops are raised and mouse proof when I close the pop door.
If your coop is not mouse proof, (has holes the size of a dime) when pop door is closed or has a dirt floor. Then it's better to remove feeder and put into a metal trash can with a locking handle. Another option is a hanging feeder on a chain. You could raise at night and lower in the morning. But you need to be able to raise at least 20 inches off the floor and away from other items the mouse could jump from. I have seen mice jump out of a 5 gallon bucket. Rats, I don't know how high they can jump. Never had any.:fl.
Raising the feeder in this picture won't keep a mouse out of it. Mice can climb the 2"x 3" framework and jump onto the feeder. GC. 20190129_091551-2.jpg

I leave feed and water in both coops 24/7.
My coops are raised and mouse proof when I close the pop door.
If your coop is not mouse proof, (has holes the size of a dime) when pop door is closed or has a dirt floor. Then it's better to remove feeder and put into a metal trash can with a locking handle. Another option is a hanging feeder on a chain. You could raise at night and lower in the morning. But you need to be able to raise at least 20 inches off the floor and away from other items the mouse could jump from. I have seen mice jump out of a 5 gallon bucket. Rats, I don't know how high they can jump. Never had any.:fl.
Raising the feeder in this picture won't keep a mouse out of it. Mice can climb the 2"x 3" framework and jump onto the feeder. GC.View attachment 1890146
Augh! Maybe I will just be proactive! Get a mouse hotel and catch them early:)
Our coop is off the ground. And mostly mouse oroof

I do not keep food in the coop as it will attract skunks and other predators, they can come and go as they please so do not want anything in there

During the warmer months I have both food and water outside in the run area. So far I haven't had an issue with rodents. Maybe I have and I just don't notice. In the winter I put the food and water inside the coop. I like having everything outside because I get to see them more, as it seems having the food/water inside keeps them inside the coop more.

Mmm never heard of these items.
Tractor supply carry it? Or Fleet farm?
Amazon?! They have everything, is it something you personally use?
Yes I use them for years, I live in Ireland so I don't know where you can get them in the USA, you can get trigger happy chicken feeder her they work, but you have to experiment with the thickness of plastic bin and the height of the feeder, it should be as high as possible to the degree the hens have to jump to trigger, you can raise it gradually as they learn how to use it, If it is too low rats will jump to trigger it and so the crows

I leave water in the run 24/7.
Food is in the run (predator proof with hardware cloth) during the day. I remove it every night and hang it in the garage where nothing can get it.
I’m less concerned about rodents, and more concerned about skunks, raccoons, bears, etc hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom