What do you do if you end up having roosters and aren’t allowed to have them?

I cant own roosters, but luckily i know people who will take young cockerels and keep them for their flock. Lots of people are looking for cockerels for their starting flocks around me.
My buff orp hen has those red streaks on her leg.
If you can get full body pictures we can tell if its a cockerel or pullet.

I cant own roosters, but luckily i know people who will take young cockerels and keep them for their flock. Lots of people are looking for cockerels for their starting flocks around me.
My buff orp hen has those red streaks on her leg.
If you can get full body pictures we can tell if its a cockerel or pullet.
Thank you. That’s great news! Hopefully mine are hens and I won’t give them up, unless 100% sure. When I get picture I’ll add to my post. Thx.

Not to burst your bubble but once they hit maturity even the sweetest roosters that would come in and sit on your lap for snuggles will become violent to maybe not you or other roosters but to strangers or people they don’t like I have a sweet boy who loves snuggles and chin scratches with me but attacks anyone he doesn’t know. They all just have the urge to protect their flock.

Pictures added. Not that great, because they kept moving around. lol. Plymouth Blue Rock, Easter egger, 2 Speckled Sussex, Cinnamon Queen.

IMG_1022.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpeg
    IMG_1021.jpeg
    722.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    987.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 8
Overall they look like girls to me.

I think Blue Plymouth Rocks are sex linked, so the males would be barred. Male Speckled Sussex have dark chests, and I don’t think yours do. The wattle and comb growth on all of them look more like pullets than cockerels to me. I hope they all are and you can keep them!

Edit: I just read that Cinnamon Queens are also sex linked, so males would be a different color* on this breed too.

Last edited:
If you're really opposed to cockerels being butchered, one idea is trading a breeding pair for a pullet. If you get a purebred cockeral and you also have a purebred pullet of same breed, I've done this twice with a lady who has a much bigger operation than me. She is always shocked that I'd trade a pair for one, but I think it's nice that someone gets to take advantage of the purebred breeding pair and the cockerel gets to live his best life. That said, when I don't have a pair to trade, I have a very convenient drive through poultry butcher.... Options. I found this lady on Craigslist btw, just email with larger farms.... Fingers crossed for you! I'm getting a Speckled Sussex for the first time in all my years, next week. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom