What do you do in the winter for water?

Morgan951

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Since the water keeps freezing, do you use heated bowls? What's a good solution to frozen solid water?

A lot of people use heater waterers. Some you can even make yourself.

I do not, as I keep my expenses minimal ...

I use a metal feed dish about the size of a cake pan, when the water freezes, I have a cement block beside the coop and I beat it twice against it and it all falls out for me to refill .

I only use it in the winter and in summer I use a big plastic waterer.

I have a small flock of 5 so it works for me

I have used an electronic dog bowl in the past but you need to have electricity to your chicken house. But this year, we have a house that has really good insulation and along with one heat lamp, keeps our water fluid. It is important that they keep drinking during this crazy cold so many of us have seen.

We have a large chicken house so the lamp is not close to the floor or shavings - you need to be careful as you do not want to have the potential of a fire that I know others have experienced losing their entire flock.

I also refill my water with hot water warming it each time.

Good luck!

I use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples and a aquarium heater, I wrapped the bucket with bubble insulation and slid another bucket with the bottom cut off so they don't peck at it. Cut a little slit in the cover for the cord to come thru also went to home depot and saw a Styrofoam 5 gallon bucket cooler it fits inside and provides a little more insulation. Has worked great so far.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples and a aquarium heater, I wrapped the bucket with bubble insulation and slid another bucket with the bottom cut off so they don't peck at it. Cut a little slit in the cover for the cord to come thru also went to home depot and saw a Styrofoam 5 gallon bucket cooler it fits inside and provides a little more insulation. Has worked great so far.
This is a very neat idea and one I may try and do my own twist on. As I am becoming tired of deicing my hanging waterer and beating the quail's dog bowl against random objects to break the ice out of it several times a day already.

I have the 5 gallon bucket with 4 nipples at the bottom. I duct taped a 3 foot heat cable (heat tape) around the bottom, then slide the waterer into another 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out to protect the heat cable. It works well. A few of the very cold nights....like 5 below and lower, the nipples got stiff.

Here is a link to how you can construct this waterer. I think I paid about $13 for the heat cable.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/heated-chicken-waterer-zm0z13fmzhun.aspx

I have the 5 gallon bucket with 4 nipples at the bottom. I duct taped a 3 foot heat cable (heat tape) around the bottom, then slide the waterer into another 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out to protect the heat cable. It works well. A few of the very cold nights....like 5 below and lower, the nipples got stiff.

Here is a link to how you can construct this waterer. I think I paid about $13 for the heat cable.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/heated-chicken-waterer-zm0z13fmzhun.aspx

I also use a version of this heater and have had no problems so far, this is my first winter with it. I was unable to find a 3ft cable local so went with a 6ft model. I added a few additions to this, I have a 1in thick piece of foam inside the bucket that fits perfect about halfway down the inside of the bucket and also added a piece of 1/2in foam on the bottom of the main bucket. The 1/2in foam is then covered with the cutout bottom from the outer bucket to keep the girls from pecking at it. With the added top and bottom foam insulators and the 6ft cable I find the water is almost steamy warm on the coldest days. So with my setup I'm convinced that it would work fine with a 3ft cable if I ever locate one. Best part is I only need to attend to it every couple weeks to clean and refill it.

A lot of neat ideas here. I just have two waterers. I keep one in the house to thaw and one in the coop then once or twice a day I swap them. It's not fancy but I took what I had and made it work.

Back
Top Bottom