What do you do in the winter for water?

Ours is beyond simple. Concrete block as the base to hold an old refrigerator drawer (holds about a gallon of water) and a submersible aquarium heater. It works great and keeps the water thawed out 24/7 even w/ the polar vortex temps we've been having this winter.

Thanks for the comments regarding the bucket and nipples.

In my little coop with only 2 chickens in it I used a coffee cup heater and put a ceramic pot holder upside down on it then a plastic waterer on top of it. Has worked very well as long as I don't fill it to full as the top part will freeze. I took care that the electric parts are covered well so the girls don't get to curious!

Ours is beyond simple. Concrete block as the base to hold an old refrigerator drawer (holds about a gallon of water) and a submersible aquarium heater. It works great and keeps the water thawed out 24/7 even w/ the polar vortex temps we've been having this winter.

How many watts is your heater?

I do two things, one is a heated dog bowl, it's thermostatically controlled. Next i do the old switch er roo .. and keep extra waterers in the house and swap out, that is for the coops where electric isn't practical. All are doing very well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom