What do you do to winterize your coop and pen?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fushalilly, Sep 27, 2009.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    What do you do to winterize your coop and pen?

Just wondering :]

I decided I would actually prepare this time.

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I will wrap the bottom 3/4's of the coop with a plastic drop cloth. Keeps the draft out. Need to keep some of it open for circulation.

3. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be interested to see what others in my area say, I know it gets cold here. In January we have below 0 temps sometimes. I wasn't planning on doing anything, my coop is pretty draftfree.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I'm in north Ga. winters are pretty mild with the occasional cold snap. I just wrap a tarp around 2 sides. The back is blocked off by the shed. The front stays open.

5. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mine was an old shed and if all the windows and the doors are closed, it would probably be sealed tight except for the ventilation vent all the way on the ceiling. I just make sure there's a few-inch layer of dry bedding on the floor, close the windows, and keep the door open so they have access to the pen area. Mine free range, so the pen gets open in the morning and they range all day and find their own spots that they like.

I've checked on them in the teens, and they're always fine, so I don't worry about them. If they're fully feathered, they really don't need anything more than a draft-free, well ventilated place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by