What do You do when the electricity goes off?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Motherhenandflock, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Three days into the bator and our electricity goes off! [​IMG]

It is on now, was off a little over 2 hours. First I covered the bator thinking that would hold the heat, then read in a book to open the bator so the eggs would have oxygen. In Gail Damarow's book; a Guide to Raising Chickens she says: if
    you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation.

So what have you encountered with hatch rate after you've had a power outage?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At that early stage I doubt it did anything other than slow them down a bit. They will be fine. I have eggs out for hours, put them back in and they still hatch.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    They will be fine, I have shipped week old embryated eggs several times( 3 days in transit) without any ill effects, except maybe a delay of a day or two in hatching

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Thanks! This being my first attempt at hatching, I am nervous to say the least!

5. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

It happened to me as well.... I just nipped over to my neighbour who has a generator ..... and promised to name a chick after them! Thanks Colin and Ruby from Colin and Ruby + 9!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by