What do you do with a roo you cant get rid of?

SoORchick73

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Sorry if this post doesnt belong, newbie-ish on these things...

So my first Roo went fast on CL, and I listed Roo #2 today, who is really kind of an ugly EE. I cant have him because its against code and hes crowing early and loud. If nobody takes him by next week....do we just, um cull him? Ugh. Do you put him in the trash? Is that legal?? I refuse to eat anything that has a name. There are sooo many free roos on CL right now, and 100% of them look better than he does :\\

What a waste. If you are definitely not going to eat him then try finding someone else that will. I'm only now starting to accept the fact that we will have to kill our roosters. And the only thing that makes me feel more assured is that he will not be wasted, he had a good life, I loved and cared for him and then he will nourish and care for me. become a part of me. even if you were killing it for dog food thats still for a purpose. Otherwise it's just ruthless killing.

If there's a wildlife rescue nearby you might be able to donate him for animal food. But, yes, you could put the body (well-wrapped) into the trash. Folks dispose of animals that way all the time. Just make sure no one will get scratched.

But it's possible someone will take him from CL, probably for eating. It's hard, but that's the only use for most roosters. It's the same with most male food animals...

Compost him? Bury him under a tree and his nutrients will feed the tree. If you can't/won't eat him, at least the nutrients will be of some use. Look, everything returns to the earth. Whether we'd eat him or not, either way, everything returns to the earth from which it comes. The nature of all matter, which "is neither created nor destroyed". (junior high science)

People who cannot keep roosters need to seriously consider avoiding buying unsexed chicks or hatching eggs. Just my $.02

If your going to cull him, then you mine as well eat him. There is nothing wrong with doing so anyways. Try not to think of him being a pet, but rather a good meal.

There is nothing wrong with picking out from the straight bin either.
smile.png
I had no choice with a few of mine and I had to have those specific breeds. Also, buying sexed is no guarantee. I picked all female. My neighbor across the street got a BR roo from the Pullet bin. We are going to have some pretty upset neighbors with the rooster. The neighbor and I have already been threatened if we keep a rooster.
sad.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
Wait a minute....you guys actually just pick chicks from a bin? Why not order from a hatchery and order specific breeds and genders?

People who cannot keep roosters need to seriously consider avoiding buying unsexed chicks or hatching eggs. Just my $.02

This is a wise suggestion and I've often wondered just why people do this. Or if they have no intention of eating them, cannot face killing them, etc., then why put yourself through all the drama?

Advertise that roo for someone to use for their hungry children or even raw feeding of their dogs...someone out there will want him.​

I make dog food out of mine, i wish i could keep them all but they would tear up my hens,plus it cuts back on my dogs feed bill and is much better for them.
Last year i kept my last hatch of the season to replace some old layers and do you know out of 250 chicks 200 were roos
th.gif

so i processed 20 for the freezer and the rest went to my dogs.
041-1-1.jpg

Wait a minute....you guys actually just pick chicks from a bin? Why not order from a hatchery and order specific breeds and genders?

Ordering from a hatchery is no guarantee that you won't get the occasional roo, as many, many people on here can tell you. My roo showed up in an "all pullet" order. Fortunately, I am out in the country and have no restrictions, etc. He turned out to be the best thing for the flock. He's not aggressive toward people, and he's very good with the hens. (Wears out their feathers, but that's another story). There are 26 hens in with him, and he still over-breeds some of them (his favorites).

I love to hear him crow, and he really is a great bird--beautiful and good-natured. I'm not sorry at all that I got him.​

Last edited:
I'd eat him.
hmm.png
If I'd given him a name and/or he was especially beautiful, I'd take the children and go for a nice long outing while leaving my husband home with him. Then, we'd come back and there'd be something new and wonderful sizzling on my husband's outdoor grill.

Back
Top Bottom