1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do with all of the chicks that you hatch????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HappyFarmLady, Jun 26, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    Just curious.....since we are all addicted to hatching......what do you do with all of the chicks????? I have a 2nd batch of eggs coming to hatch in my new Hovabator Genesis [​IMG] but not really sure what to do with them. I already have 30 chickens. Do you sell them? if so, where?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Craigslist ad. I am getting ready to list ducklings. A momma duck just hatched a whole mess of em [​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Craigslist. I sold over 50 chicks this last winter hatching.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've never tried craigslist. But I may look into it. I'd like to at least pay for my bator. I only hatch eggs for people wanting chicks. They tell me how many & I'll hatch them. I can't just hatch them & hope I sell the chicks. I don't have a empty coop to raise them in.

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Still trying to figure that one out. So far we plan on keeping the ones that are hatched now....

6. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    my mom doesnt like craigslist we just put an ad in the paper and i post ads on ocala and gainesville4sale.com

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

We keep everything we hatch.. then when they get big enough most go to Freezer Camp. I do go through and select a few to keep based on what I am breeding for at the time.

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I try to relocate them to children in 4-H. I always keep a few of the best

9. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I am lucky the local (non chain variety) feed store sells mature birds year round if you want to give them the bird [​IMG] so for fast removal I will take one or two roosters that are causing trouble there if they look smart. The store sells them for $10 which usually will weed out those looking for a cheap slaughter bird. They do make a point to tell me mine go quick and are such good looking roosters people always comment on them. When a broody hatched 16 peeps, when they were mature I sold the 6 roosters as a group on Craig's List for someone else to freezer camp. We are now in the process of building a chicken plucker and will be keeping the not so pretty roosters for processing and our own freezer. I have also started to switch my breed from mixed flock to Salmon Faverolles and they are supposed to be a very good dual purpose bird so non quality roosters will be processed when the time comes. I don't sell hatched peeps as I can't sex worth a darn and usually am hatching for layers to keep so I raise them up to almost laying age and then start to sell.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I grow mine out until I know if I have pullets or cockerels. The pullets I sell myself and the cockerels go to the auction. I just took about 30 boys to the auction this weekend. At least it pays for the feed. My local feed store sends people up to our farm that are looking to buy some birds and most people want ready to lay pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by