• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
ONCE IN AWHILE, I miss living in the United States....but after reading all these silly "rules, policies, regulations" about donating eggs or giving them away to charities or possibility of people suing you for donated consumables or the absurd FDA BS...SHEESH! I'm happy living in my little slice of paradise without those pesky rules and ALL Nationals here are so grateful to receive food items for their families. They will also be the first to include you in their backyard Carne Asada (BBQ) when they've saved enough money to buy a chunk of meat or when someone has given it to them. The "idea or thought" of suing someone here is an insult. I've never heard of one National suing another...but gringos, yes. My daughter is a lawyer in the states and she will tell you that people are NUTS with their "wanting to sue" mentality.
I wish to have your over abundance problem someday soon :)
Best of luck with whatever you choose to do with your bounty.

Our rules here are pretty lax.
A link to where you pasted that from would be helpful too.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @TheRusticRebel

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-4-26_10-30-20.png

I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999

I use them for dog food. Some recipes mix eggs, oats, and fish.

I would also donate them to the local food kitchen.

We get 9 eggs a day usually and like you we are tired of eating them all the time. My wife and I both take eggs to work and give them away to co workers or customers. I usually save any dirty eggs (muddy from rainy days or pooped on) and scramble them and feed them to the chickens.

Ha! I do the same thing. I always have a 'clean' carton and a 'dirty' carton. We eat/use the dirty ones ourselves and give away the clean ones. We don't allow our chickens to eat eggs because my husband considers it cannibalism :lau

Quiches make them and freeze them. Scrambled egg bags, crack and scramble as many as you use in a sitting and freeze in a bag.
I do the same with unscrambled ones for recipes and stuff, those snack bags hold two eggs and most stuff calls for two.
The biggest extra egg use though is quiches.:)

Oh my goodness, a bunch of frozen quiche! What a great idea!! I'm totally going to do that.

Here in Southern Southern California.... LOL I am about two miles from the Border With Mexico.... YOu can sell eggs off your own property.... You can sell them to friends and by word of mouth.... As long as you aren't selling more than three hundred a week I believe.

Its been a long time since I researched this.... Yes the US is a Litigious Society... And terribly afraid of Food born pathogens.

If you want to sell them at a farmers market you have to have a Shell EGG permit. Same goes for Donating them. Your place has to be inspected and you have to be practicing bio-security. Which we all should be doing any way. Oh and the eggs have to be graded...

Egg preservation....
Salting
Waterglass preservation Very old technique
Freezing
Home made Powdered Eggs... surprisingly easy

There are a few Asian methods but Not something I want to try...
Thousand year eggs

upload_2019-4-26_10-13-50.png

Ok... enough of the yuk

Pickled eggs
Freezing eggs in ice-cube trays then toss in a bag
Love the quiche Idea....

Outside of the Powdered eggs and pickled... I feed the Ravens any that are iffy... place them in a pan on the roof of the coop. They are gone in a day...

Eggs fed back to chickens scrambled along with finely crushed egg shells
Eggs Fed to the dogs

And of course eggs fed to me.... LOL. Though I would limit my poultry to only what I can deal with.

deb

I use my yolks for homemade ice cream takes a lot for 1/2 gallon. I use the whites for breakfast, frittata’s etc. I am looking at selling at local farmers market but may not get enough to do that. Soup kitchens might take if date with pencil. You can store for winter in I think dehydrated lime method. Never tried but supposed to keep and use as needed. Can get instructions on google. I like the quiche idea. I use mine in dinners as well. I bought egg recipe book. I give some to my mom and daughter on occasion. Occasionally my chicks get the cracked ones after washing and scrambling. Not that many. No they do not become egg eaters after. Throwing away would be a crime and waste.

Back
Top Bottom