1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do with all your scraps?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wisdom_seeker, Dec 1, 2008.

1. wisdom_seeker

wisdom_seeker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    CT
    I know that you can eat hearts, gizzards, livers and neck etc. I have even seen people eat chicken feet in China.

What do you do with all the other stuff?

Wet plucked feathers
    blood
    heads
    fat
    feet
    guts

I throw all this stuff in a hole in the yard and burry it so that I do not attract predators.

It' just seems like such a waste. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    my dogs like heads and feet. Raw of course.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I compost the feathers and blood.

Too many raccoons and coyotes here to compost guts or heads, they go in the green bin (compostables) for curbside pickup.

Fat I mostly save for cooking.

Feet I have thus far thrown out, but with many self-recriminations at my laziness, and next time I *swear* I will figure out how to scald them hot enough to peel the skin off (my problem hitherto) and use for stock and/or chinese-style chicken feet.

Pat

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I bury it in the compost area.

5. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have a old barn that is about 500 yards from the house where 2 vultures have their 2 babies every year. I take all my chicken guts to the vultures.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i feed it to the chickens [​IMG] ,, what they dont eat gets the compost

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Pat, the tough outer membrane (cuticle) on the feet peels off without boiling, most of the time. Once in a while I get one that won't peel, But it's rare. On the ones that have a callused dark spot on the sole, I trim off any discolored tissue, then the foot is ready to boil up to make soup stock.

Fat, I save to cook with. We eat the skin.

The various bits like the lungs, spleen, kidneys, and liver (neither I nor my DH like the liver) I boil up for my dogs and cats. I should boil the heads, too, maybe next time I will. I don't feed raw heads, feet, or other parts, to the dogs, because I'm afraid they may decide to harvest their own. It took a lot of work to teach them not to bother the birds in the first place!

I save the prettiest feathers for crafts, the rest I compost. Next year we'll have pigs, so most of the scraps will go to them, except maybe not the feathers. Those I'll still compost.

Feet that I don't need for crafts will be soup stock. I dehydrate some of them, dye them with black walnut hull, and use them to make some amazingly pretty protection charms. (Yes, people will buy them.)

The first one's a guinea foot, undyed, holding a hematite sphere. The other's a chicken foot, dyed w/ black walnut hull, holding a labradorite sphere that doesn't show up in that crappy photo. That one wasn't finished when I took the pic. (They're fuzzy because I couldn't get a good pic with that camera.) I place semi-precious stones in the claw, so the foot holds the stone. Don't ask me how, it's a trade secret.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:awwww mannnn,,, lucky you!!

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll have to try that with pheasant feet lol.

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Check your local laws. I wanted to try it with some smaller stones and crow feet, but it's a no-no.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by