What do you do with cockerels that you can’t keep?

Pics
When I had cockerels in a town where I lived I used a cockerel collar, it quietens them down to an acceptable level and does no harm to the bird.

When I needed to find a home for 2 surprise cockerels, I asked someone to post them to Nextdoor. The person that posted them lived in a rural area about 45 minutes from me. A small egg farmer was looking for 2 cockerels the same age as her flock of hens, so it worked out.

When I first started in the hatchery business I advertised on index cards at the feed store, laundromats, & any where there was a bulletin board as well as an occasional ad in the local newspaper. Now that I'm retired I restarted the incubators on a very small scale as a hobby & going to take advantage of the free radio stations' swap shops" where you can sell or trade or buy. Check your local radio stations for their times & numbers. I'd suggest that you start off by advertising him for $10.00 which would be an expensive meat bird but someone looking for a breeder would be willing to pay. As a recent example someone heard our roosters crowing so he stopped in to see if we'd sell one. A raccoon had did a number on his roosters. We'd already butchered some & had more to butcher but, hey, if we sell one then we'd have one less to butcher so I offered him one for $3.00, he countered with $5.00 & I came back with $10.00 and at that point we both laughed & a deal was struck. He utilizes setting hens while I utilize incubators as a setting hen lays no eggs until the chicks are old enough & they're in the mood again. He sells chicks & chickens as will I.

I’m not sure where to post this, sorry if this isn’t the right place. But I have a 7 week old Olive Egger cockerel. He did a cute little baby voice CHICK A DOODLE DOO this morning. Not loud, but it was obvious. We cannot have roosters where we live. I have posted him on Craigslist, various local chicken/farm groups on FB, and MeWe. The humane society here doesn’t take “livestock”. I do not know what to do with this bird. I’d rather if he didn’t go to someone that was going to eat him (he’s so small anyway), but I’m getting desperate. I did find a rooster rescue group, but they require you to forfeit your entire flock and sign a contract saying you’ll never get more chickens and basically commit to being vegan 🙄. I know lots of folks on here have ended up with accidental cockerels - what did you end up doing?
Check your local feed stores. Some of them will take roos. We have one near us whom, for three dollars, will take your roo, put him in a cage and people can come in and take them. The turnover is very fast.

We got two cockerels out of 4. We gave them to our neighbor after 12 weeks.

It was painful to see them go, but because our neighbors are Muslim, they were prayed over to make them halal.

We got one of them back That was the best tasting and the last chicken fricassée I had for 5 years until recently.

I’m not sure where to post this, sorry if this isn’t the right place. But I have a 7 week old Olive Egger cockerel. He did a cute little baby voice CHICK A DOODLE DOO this morning. Not loud, but it was obvious. We cannot have roosters where we live. I have posted him on Craigslist, various local chicken/farm groups on FB, and MeWe. The humane society here doesn’t take “livestock”. I do not know what to do with this bird. I’d rather if he didn’t go to someone that was going to eat him (he’s so small anyway), but I’m getting desperate. I did find a rooster rescue group, but they require you to forfeit your entire flock and sign a contract saying you’ll never get more chickens and basically commit to being vegan 🙄. I know lots of folks on here have ended up with accidental cockerels - what did you end up doing?

Do you have a live stock auction nearby? We take ours the auction to keep from killing them. Also we have used collars to reduce the loud loud cock a doodle doo, but it only reduces it will not eliminate it. I also wouldn't recommend it for a growing cockrel.

Back
Top Bottom