What do you do with crouching hens?

NixNoodleNumbat

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Australia
You know when they crouch down and do a little foot stamp? I just ignore it, but the other day my friend said some people 'pretend to be the rooster'. It intrigued me. Does anyone do this? How do you do this?

I reach down and ruffle her back feathers, for a few seconds. When I stop she stands up tall and shakes her feathers, then goes on her way.

Imp

I do the same thing... I've been told they do that to "bow" to roosters, or do it to allow the Rooster to mount the Hen. But I take it as a dominance thing (makes it less weird), and I always give the girls a scratch on the back too.

I love the way y'all say you reach down and ruffle their feathers or pick them up and give them a kiss on the head!!
smile.png

My girls and I just don't have that kind of relationship. I must have done something wrong in their early biddiehood phase--not enough petting or treats or something. Anyway, they will walk all around me, even fly up on my chair or my shoulder and perch--when the mood strikes them. BUT no touching allowed!!!

The squawk-and-run response is strong when they even see my hand easing toward them with a treat of BOSS or grapes or cantalope. Some of them will slowly sidle up and start pecking at the treat, but most of them will not. The girls are almost 14 weeks old. Will they ever take a shine to me and let me hold them?

Any suggestions?

P.S. my wife has the same problem and she's one of those people who is very lovey with them.

How old are the chickens(bertaman)? Mine never want to be touched. Maybe jump up and sit on my leg. Let me scratch them when they squat. That's about it.

However, mine went through a phase prior to laying before squatting where the screamed and ran from me everytime I got near them. They got friendlier once they started laying.

Last edited:
Mine started doing exactly the same thing just prior them starting to lay or what I'm calling puberty. They line up to have their rumps rubbed now. Well, all but one and that one is not laying yet.

I think the puberty thing is the same across all species. My kids are the same way. They don't want to be touched/hugged during this phase. I think they grow out of it.

Back
Top Bottom