What do you do with naughty hens?????UPDATE

tiki, I'm just curious if this was a young hen you raised or was it an older hen you bought? I haven't had any of my girls turn on me but I would imagine it must happen from time to time.

I got her when she was a week old but she crowed as a youngster and seems to be the watchdog of the flock like a rooster is supposed to be.

My big rooster buff orpington hides in the nest box at the least sign of trouble. What silly little chickens I have!!!

EDIT: well I was just in there giving fresh water and shes at it again-I am going to do the rooster thing with the back of her neck and see how that goes(no more hitting just grab the back of her neck and push her down)

any other opinions would bre appreciated Thanks

Last edited:
Tiki,

I can tell you from experience hitting them back just makes it MUCH MUCH worse. I posted here about it back in December, again in January, maybe in early February. lol

Of course my girl wasnt laying yet either, so it young and I think to BEGIN with was defending her territory, I dont know. She has always been a LITTLE pecky but she started doing the drawing blood thing too. It was serious.

I raised her from hatch. I tried grabbing the beak thing, which someone suggested...didnt work. Tried bopping her gently back, that made it worse, but boy when they draw blood, its HARD not to want to hit back. Then bopped her HARDER one day when we had a REAL set too. It got worse. I only did this two days and it made the behavior horrible, she thought I wanted to fight and she LIKES to fight.

I tried holding her down gently, like a roo with a hen. That didnt work either.

What I am doing now and it IS getting better, is I try to be very gentle with her. She is still pecking at me, but its decreased a LOT and she is just gently pecking. She really likes her feathers ruffled under her neck and chest area, where she cant reach. lol So....every time she pecks me, or even starts to, I ruffle her neck area gently, like affectionately.

Its too funny, I was trying sooo many things, and then I did this, and she got this look of bliss on her face...when she really still wanted to attack me, so it made her a bit mad. But I try to gently ruffle her feathers there, or stroke, but she doesnt like stroking, THIS chicken likes ruffling like a dog would behind its ears, too weird. Most chickens DO NOT like their feathers ruffled, this is just an odd girl.

Mom told me today, "I went to pet Lily and she didnt even bite me"...I said.."are you sure you petted the right chicken????" lol

Don't Hit her. It will only make her worse. She is fighting you and if you slap back it will only encourage her. If she is a dominate hen then you could slap her till you killed her and she wouldn't quit. Try this. Every day 2-3 times a day go out to her pen and get her. Grab her by both feet, tuck her under your arm with her head facing backward and her tailfeathers facing front. Tuck her in firmly so she can't flap her wings. Carry her around like this while you do your feeding or other chores. Don't let her down if she struggles. Let her down when YOU are ready not her. Don't let her win. You must show her who is boss and that no matter what she does she cannot win. Keep this up for a few days and you should see a difference. Again I can't stress this enough!!! Don't let her win. If she comes at you again when you let her down, pick her right back up and tuck her under your armpit backwards. Hold her firmly. Don't ever walk away from her if she still has a fight on. She must be imprinted with you being dominate over her. Try it. Hope it works.

I can tell you from lots of experience with exotic and house birds that hitting does not work. I think we have established that birds just don't understand that body language. If she is defending herself or territory, she is affraid and being ruff with her will only solidify that fear and make it stronger.
The idea of taking her out and carrying her around in a firm and secure way, so that she can not hurt you or herself is a Great first step. Then before you set her down try talking to her sweet and calm. Maybe even give her some food treats out of your hand. If she sees your hand as something that gives her something yummy you will beable to regain her trust.
Do not allow her to get away with "bad" behavior! Birds are vocal animals so telling her NO! in a deep harsh tone and then do not back off, would probably work. Call her bluff. Wear gloves if you have to. Don't show any fear, but don't use you hand as a weapon.
Why do birds turn and start pecking owners?....maybe hormones.....maybe there is flock pecking order has been disrupted and she sees you as part of the flock. Who knows, but agressive handling is not the answer.
Having said all that you should not feel bad about how you handled it. The one thing is not to let them get away with it. And now you have some good techniques to deal with it. Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes!
smile.png

Thndrdancr, Flyman39, and FlightsofFancy Thank You for the good ideas to handle her.

This morning I removed her from the rest of the chichickens and put her in an isolation cage but now I will go back out there and let her loose and I will try these methods that you have outlined for me.

I am sure they will work better than what I have done.

Thanks so much-I will update
smile.png

Yes, the isolation might help teach her a lesson. I did the same with my naughty dalmation molly fish in my aquarium and when I released her she's nice now.

I kinda hate naughty chickens too! Once my rooster pecked me hard twice and I wanted to hit him with my bat! But I must resist............

Hope she behaves soon!

I tried carrying her around but she bit me when I went to get her. My right hand is shot so Im using my left hand now. She is still in isolation and she can see me interacting with the "others". I hope this helps. I am becoming afraid of her. I wanted to keep her for chicks because she is the prettiest female cochin I have.

Sometimes you just get a bird who's crabby...like they have terminal PMS.
My Slifer, a Standard Light Brahma/Leghorn mix, would get all roostery at me...finally I figured out that if *I* acted like a real roo that she'd settle down.
It worked.

I'd take hold of her neck feathers and tug, then press her down onto the ground and hold her there. After about a minute, I'd let her up.
It takes a few times for the training to "take" but it can work.

*a squirt bottle around my house works on just about everbody-- BUT THE CAT!! Dog is terrified of it, Chook will march the opposite direction on seeing it. Only makes DH surly though. OR SURLI--ER!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom