What do you do with new chickens

kwik-kwak

Chirping
Aug 14, 2021
Bulgaria
We want to buy some chickens soon. We only want hens so go for adult chickens. We already have two ducks, the chickens will be in another part of the yard. Even then there is a risk of disease transmission. I'm curious what you do with new chickens, do you treat them against parasites, or do you check if they are there and then treat them? I'd rather not use unnecessary chemicals, but I was thinking of greasing the legs with oil and putting diatomaceous earth in the coop and in there sand bath. I saw that diatomaceous earth can also be fed to kill worms, what are the experiences with this?

We do not want to treat and stress them unnecessarily, but of course also reduce the risk of problems. What are the do's and don'ts?

The chickens will have a small night shelter in a larger fenced part of the garden. This fenced part is not covered and in the future they will probably also be allowed to free range outside the fence. Should we lock them up in the coop for the first day and night, so that they get used to that place? I'm a bit afraid we won't catch them and they'll be unprotected in the night. How do you that?

Any advice is welcome☺️

Let me answer some of your questions. And offer some opinions,.
If you will eventually keep your chickens with your ducks,, the drake (if you have one) can possibly harm your chickens.
Place your chickens into their coop first night. Open coop door in the morning, and they will come out on their own. The chickens will likely learn to enter coop in evening in very short time. If first few days they don't find their way back,,, just capture them when it gets dusk.
Just get your young adult hens,,, and don't worry too much about them. There is no practical way to prevent all possible diseases. There is also no practical way to cure all possible diseases/conditions.
Now to Diatomaceous Earth. (DE) this stuff should be used with care. Read label, and it will state,,, "Can be hazardous to human lungs" I think it is not to great for chicken lungs as well. I myself do use it,,,,, but only in small quantities, as thin first layer in my coop floor bedding. I cover that layer with Sweet PDZ. You may not be familiar with that stuff (PDZ) in your country, so sand may be a substitute. I then place a good layer of hay over that. The function of the DE is to kill whatever little creeping insects may be at base floor of coop.
Best stuff for chickens to dust bathe in ,,,,, a mixture of dry earth, and ashes. They prefer that to sand. If you do encounter mites,,, it is also good to add sulfur powder,, (garden variety) to the dust bath area. Some peeps do add DE, but I do not. Another thing about DE. Once it gets wet,,, it no longer works.
I could go on and on about DE, but only if you have further questions.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Let me answer some of your questions. And offer some opinions,.
If you will eventually keep your chickens with your ducks,, the drake (if you have one) can possibly harm your chickens.
Place your chickens into their coop first night. Open coop door in the morning, and they will come out on their own. The chickens will likely learn to enter coop in evening in very short time. If first few days they don't find their way back,,, just capture them when it gets dusk.
Just get your young adult hens,,, and don't worry too much about them. There is no practical way to prevent all possible diseases. There is also no practical way to cure all possible diseases/conditions.
Now to Diatomaceous Earth. (DE) this stuff should be used with care. Read label, and it will state,,, "Can be hazardous to human lungs" I think it is not to great for chicken lungs as well. I myself do use it,,,,, but only in small quantities, as thin first layer in my coop floor bedding. I cover that layer with Sweet PDZ. You may not be familiar with that stuff (PDZ) in your country, so sand may be a substitute. I then place a good layer of hay over that. The function of the DE is to kill whatever little creeping insects may be at base floor of coop.
Best stuff for chickens to dust bathe in ,,,,, a mixture of dry earth, and ashes. They prefer that to sand. If you do encounter mites,,, it is also good to add sulfur powder,, (garden variety) to the dust bath area. Some peeps do add DE, but I do not. Another thing about DE. Once it gets wet,,, it no longer works.
I could go on and on about DE, but only if you have further questions.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks for your answer:)!
Indeed, the chickens stay separate from the ducks (they where sold as two drakes 😇 ).

When I was a child we also had chickens and we didn't do anything special with them, we didn't know any better and these chickens also lived a long and apparently healthy life. So I won't worry too much, but I don't want to neglect them.

Thank you for pointing that out about the diatomaceous earth, so we're not going to make excessive use of it and just sprinkle a small layer in their coop. So you don't put diatomaceous earth in their food?

I've never heard of sweet PDZ, I might see if I can find it here.

Ducks and chickens don't usually spread diseases to each other, so I wouldn't worry about that unless you know a member of your flock is already carrying a disease.

Diatomaceous earth is not really effective against internal parasites or anything else. Some wood ash added to where the chickens dust bathe is a good idea, though. When you get your chickens, check them over for lice and mites. Don't treat them unless it is necessary.

Vaseline on the legs is only useful if your birds have leg mites, which you can recognize by raised scales on their legs. The legs will look crusty. My advice is simply not to buy chickens with these problems in the first place. It really shouldn't be difficult to keep them healthy and pest free if you only have a few and they start out with a clean bill of health.

If they eventually turn out to have a parasite, we will treat it. We will indeed only buy them if they appear healthy.
If you do this, you will be fine. As long as mine are active and eating and laying they are fine. I don't use DE at all, or cider vinegar... just plain clean water, good quality feed, and table scraps. Mine are healthy enough.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom