What do you do with roosters in winter

Trekson

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Come fall, I'm going to have three active roosters that are presently housed together. As they grow older, I want to separate my flock by breed however I don't want to hatch eggs in the winter. The "ladies" could use some rest, if you know what I mean. So what do you folks do in a similar situation? Build 3 separate little coops? Keep them in cages? If their kept together, they'll fight, right? Even if there aren't any hens to fight over? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

If you don't want to hatch eggs over the winter, then you wouldn't need to worry about separating them until spring. They'll probably chill out on the hens by fall/winter anyway. I've always kept all of mine together and haven't had serious problems with fighting. They had plenty of space though, so if it's cramped they might fight more. You can deal with separating them by breed in the spring or whenever you want to start hatching eggs.

I had an overload of roosters for a while this spring. They were all raised together so I didn't have any trouble putting them all together in their own pen. Without hens to fight over they got along pretty well. On the other hand I had 3 roos running with 20 hens and they did OK all together over the winter too.

Back
Top Bottom