What do you do with the eggs???

Cherib603

Chirping
May 23, 2016
New Hampshire
My ducks are only 6 weeks old, but I like to plan ahead. Our girls are pekins, our 1 drake is a snowy mallard. We WILL be eating the eggs on occassion, but the majority will be throwaways as we don't want ducklings for the forseeable future. What do you all do with the extra eggs??

You could sell them for $3 a dozen
And ducks don't go broody that often. Especially pekins!
Eggs can keep for a long time, You can store them in the fridge and then sell them when
And Duck eggs are PRECIOUS! They are the best in cakes and brownies.
Hope this helps

-BCP

My ducks are only 6 weeks old, but I like to plan ahead. Our girls are pekins, our 1 drake is a snowy mallard. We WILL be eating the eggs on occassion, but the majority will be throwaways as we don't want ducklings for the forseeable future. What do you all do with the extra eggs??
My dogs love duck eggs I also use them in baking they are awesome for that. Egg salad is another way to use them and we have a friend at church who like to eat them. I never throw them away.

We steam them (high altitude so i can't easily do a proper boiled egg), make quiches, scrambled or fried eggs. I wash the eggs right before I cook with them.

Eggs can be pickled and brined.

Duck eggs are AWESOME in baked goods and ice cream. They also make awesome creme brulee (a baked custard)

Uncooked quiche mix can be frozen.

They keep for a really long time (i've gotten up to 6 weeks when I was hoarding them for family), especially if you don't remove the bloom by washing.

I give away a lot of eggs and barter with them at my favorite butcher and restaurants. I don't sell them to the public because my state regulates that pretty heavily.

When I drop eggs or accidentally crack them while I gather the eggs I cook those for my ducks. The babies love the actual eggs and the layers love the egg shell. THey don't eat their own eggs (even though they love! chicken eggs).

If you have other pets cooked eggs can be a good treat for them. Unfortunately my dogs don't like any type of egg even if its hidden in a mound of butter or cheese.

Fertilized or not you will not be able to tell the difference if you collect them daily. If I get a surplus I crack and freeze them in ice cube trays. Then thaw when I need them for baking.

I also found a local store that was interested in buying my extras.

You can cook them and feed them back to the ducks, shell and all. And my dogs do love them also.

Duck eggs kept in fridge are good for up to 5 months, according to Dave Holderread.
I use mine in baking, for eating, and if you want, boiled duck eggs mashed to an unrecognizable form are good treats for ducks.
I also sell mine- if fertilized, as hatching eggs for $20/dozen, or eating for $5/dozen. Neighbours appreciate eggs, too.
Pekins and Mallards don't lay tht many eggs, you won't have too many, I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom