What do you do with the watermelon rind after putting it in the run?

wendy

On the Hill
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
central louisiana
well.........

2648_img_1593.jpg

we had a oblong watermelon and we cut one end like a bowl and ate out of it. then what little watermelon was left in there we put out for the chickens. my husband went into the coop and picked it up 30 or 40 minutes after we brought it out there and they had cleaned it out perfectly. all that was left was a "bowl" perfectly cleaned out. my husband put it on the dogs head. she really looks like she is loving that NOT! lol!

2648_sept_26_2008_074.jpg

Here is our youngest with her hat on. she saw it on the dog and wanted to try it on too!

wendy

Quote:
Oooh, corn cobs to horses? Never even thought of it. My horses love watermelon rind and I love the way they froth green at the mouth after they've enjoyed their treat
lol.png
. I've just been tossing the leftover corncobs into the field when the chickens are done. Thanks for the tip... I'll toss the ones from tonight's dinner to the horses tomorrow.

our little doxie "Roux" is so sweet. She is one of the best dogs I have ever owned. Poor thing puts up with a lot with two toddlers running around! We took her camping this summer on our first trip in our camper and she did great, even went on a hike our last day with us. We carried her most of the time! She is one of the family for sure!!!

Wendy

That dog looks so NOT hapy about that hat.
gig.gif

Quote:
hehehehe I played a horrible joke on a dear friend of mine about 15 years ago. She was afraid of horses and thought they were pure evil. (Bad experience as a child) Anyway, she was visiting and my TB Stallion "Max" was pitching a fit watching everyone eat watermelon. So, I tossed a rind over the fence of the turnout so he could come out and get it.

Then I convinced my friend to walk through the barn with me. We rounded the corner and Max heard me coming and came at a near run into the barn looking for more treats. Green foam and drool slinging all over the place. My friend screamed, Max came to a screeching halt and I busted out laughing. All she could say was "SEE I told you...Look at him...he is is throwing green foam everywhere....Evil". Max was confused by her and when she turned to run out of the barn Max took off after her thinking she had more watermelon and was playing with him. So I am doubled over laughing hysterically, my friend is running screaming and the horse is trotting behind her everywhere looking for a treat...slinging green drool as he went.
gig.gif
I wish there had been a camera around for that day. Priceless!

Quote:
hehehehe I played a horrible joke on a dear friend of mine about 15 years ago. She was afraid of horses and thought they were pure evil. (Bad experience as a child) Anyway, she was visiting and my TB Stallion "Max" was pitching a fit watching everyone eat watermelon. So, I tossed a rind over the fence of the turnout so he could come out and get it.

Then I convinced my friend to walk through the barn with me. We rounded the corner and Max heard me coming and came at a near run into the barn looking for more treats. Green foam and drool slinging all over the place. My friend screamed, Max came to a screeching halt and I busted out laughing. All she could say was "SEE I told you...Look at him...he is is throwing green foam everywhere....Evil". Max was confused by her and when she turned to run out of the barn Max took off after her thinking she had more watermelon and was playing with him. So I am doubled over laughing hysterically, my friend is running screaming and the horse is trotting behind her everywhere looking for a treat...slinging green drool as he went.
gig.gif
I wish there had been a camera around for that day. Priceless!

wow that sounds hiliarious!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
but your poor friend! lol!

edited to say: on the dog thing, she is use to it. we are always playing with her. my husband turns her ears a funny way and i say it looks like princess layah (sp) from star wars , i will have to get one of those pics and put it on here too! good thing my dog can't speak she would "chew" me out for posting pics!! lol

wendy

Last edited:
hehehehe She forgave me. I actually ended up teaching her to ride when she lost to me playing poker. The bet was....I win and you learn to ride...you win and I will stop trying to convince you horses are not evil. she and Max became friends although she would never seat him. LOL

Oh my parents have had hotdogs all of our lives. Their current one, 10 year old...is just as used to it. My grandson just turned 4 last April and he has put up with him from day one. LOL

Last edited:
I have a compost bin in the chicken area. all food scraps and chicken leftovers go there. Also their poop after it stays a bit in the deep litter. the whole thing goes into composters. The coop/run is 10 feet from my neighbors house and there only a nice organic smell. Of course i only have 2 chickens..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom