what do you do with your bacon grease?

I use it instead of shortening when I make biscuits or just about any kind of bread, even in pie crust. Bacon goes well with a fruit pie, especially apple. Fry potatoes or eggs in it, or fry meat.

My folks had a grease can on the stove when I was a kid. It was metal, shaped like a coffee pot. Little stainer built in to take out the bigger crumbs.

Quote:
It'll take forever to drip through a filter, and cool and solidify before it all gets through. I don't strain or filter mine at all. What I do instead, is warm up the jar it's in now and then, until the grease all turns clear, then just let it sit until it re-solidifies. The crumbs and sludge will sink to the bottom, and all the rest will be nice and clean, so you don't get crumbs burning while you fry taters. On the other hand, those crumbs add flavor to breads, pancake batter, and biscuits.

Quote:
I had a lab mix puppy get pancreatitis from eating pork, he was very ill. Fortunately, I found out quickly what was wrong, and knew what to do the help him. (I gave him slippery elm and acidophilus to settle his digestive system, then digestive enzymes, a detox tea with herbs to support liver function. After a couple of days he was fine. Then a few weeks later, he dug under the fence and got out, was hit by a car and killed.
hit.gif
) I no longer give pork to the dogs at all, in any form. Some dogs, like my 2 older ones, seem to be able to eat absolutely anything, with impunity. But I don't want to risk it. They get plenty of of other treats, including chicken fat and deer fat. They can live without the bacon grease.

A friend of mine who used to be a dog show judge, told me that even a small amount of pork will kill some breeds, Salukis, (sp?) for one.

Last edited:
Didn't read through all the entries although I am bookmarking this page. I keep my grease in a cup on the stove and it is the ONLY way I will eat pancakes is if they are fried in this. I have the BEST ever buttermilk pancake recipe if anyone is interested... fried in bacon grease and with real maple syrup and you will think you have died and gone to heaven.

Bacon grease has another use besides seasoning green beans and spuds. When I use to have horses, I always kept it around. Whenever they would get a bad cut or gash, once it was healed; apply the bacon grease and their hair/hide will grow back in it's natural color instead of white. Bacon grease is the only thing that will do it, well, unless you want to spend an arm and a leg. I've even used it on my dog and had the same result.

Quote:
Wish I had known this secret when I was a kid. Went through a window when I was 2 and have a huge patch of white hair from the scar on top of my head. I have taken a lot of razing in my life about that!!

Quote:
It'll take forever to drip through a filter, and cool and solidify before it all gets through. I don't strain or filter mine at all. What I do instead, is warm up the jar it's in now and then, until the grease all turns clear, then just let it sit until it re-solidifies. The crumbs and sludge will sink to the bottom, and all the rest will be nice and clean, so you don't get crumbs burning while you fry taters. On the other hand, those crumbs add flavor to breads, pancake batter, and biscuits.

Quote:
I had a lab mix puppy get pancreatitis from eating pork, he was very ill. Fortunately, I found out quickly what was wrong, and knew what to do the help him. (I gave him slippery elm and acidophilus to settle his digestive system, then digestive enzymes, a detox tea with herbs to support liver function. After a couple of days he was fine. Then a few weeks later, he dug under the fence and got out, was hit by a car and killed.
hit.gif
) I no longer give pork to the dogs at all, in any form. Some dogs, like my 2 older ones, seem to be able to eat absolutely anything, with impunity. But I don't want to risk it. They get plenty of of other treats, including chicken fat and deer fat. They can live without the bacon grease.

A friend of mine who used to be a dog show judge, told me that even a small amount of pork will kill some breeds, Salukis, (sp?) for one.

I'm with you guys....

been there done that with the pancreatitis. Well, at least thats what they were being treated for at one time. Had leftover pork roast bits...and used to give bacon grease on kibble too..

It also turns out that two of them died young due to kidney disease/failure. Could have been the raisin bran that my vet prescribed for backed up dog (didnt want to play favorites so everyone got raisin bran, now we know raisins are toxic! Could have been the toxic dog food episode we had....

anyway, I stay away from pork in all forms for my dogs. And actually excess fatty food in any form. Peanut butter, turkey skin etc...

but I came back to this post to add something my SA (smart ***) BF asked me this morning...
"did you fry your BACON in bacon grease this morning? hahahahah"

oh jeez and then I read this. from May 2006

COLUMBIA, S.C. - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond Pet Foods.

The company has recalled 19 varieties of dog and cat food because tests showed high levels of aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that causes severe liver damage in animals.

The company recalled products manufactured at its Gaston, S.C., plant from around September to November 2005. Based on sample testing, Diamond has narrowed down the exposure to food produced on Oct. 11, Brinkmann said Thursday.

The FDA and the South Carolina Department of Agriculture have launched investigations.

Customers who have purchased the recalled Diamond Pet Food manufactured in the South Carolina plant should immediately stop using it and return any remaining product to their retailer, according to the FDA.

The range of date codes being reviewed are "Best By 01-March-07" through Best By " 11-June-07".

I had used Diamond Brand during that time as well.

"If a liver disease is not attended to in time, it will eventually lead to liver failure and premature death. At the same time, unless the patient is subjected to the recommended diagnostic procedures, it is not possible to detect liver disease. Liver Disease in cats and dogs, the problem is more significant because they cannot communicate and are not able to explain or complain about gastrointestinal discomfort or other non-overt symptoms.

However important the diagnostic procedures may be, if early signs of liver problems in dogs and cats are noticed and reported, the problem can be addressed in time. In most cases proper treatment can facilitate complete remission of the disease.

The same probably applies to every disease but it becomes more pertinent in the case of a liver disease. Many diseases can progress at a fast rate, rendering them incurable at times. Liver disease is a classic example where late detection and treatment can possibly lead to complete liver failure and death. Liver failure is one of the primary causes of death of dogs in the United States.

Signs, especially early signs of liver disease are vague and subtle and at the same time mimic many other diseases. On the reverse side, some other problems like pancreas diseases in dogs and cats usually accompany liver diseases and cause confusion during diagnosis. Both conditions together create complications and require keen observation on the part of a concerned dog owner. Common early signs of liver disease in dogs include the following:
Polyuria or excessive urination
Polydipsia or excessive thirst
Refusal to eat that causes weight-loss
Gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea and vomiting
Lethargy
Bloated stomach, usually caused by accumulation of fluid
Viral and bacterial infections
The ultimate confirmation, of course, is done with laboratory tests and imaging techniques to establish the prevalence of liver disease with complete certainty.

Besides other causes, the most common cause that leads to liver disease in dogs and cats is exposure to toxins. This includes environmental toxins as well as those contained in commercial foods. It is essential that the dog is fed with a nutritious and healthy diet in order to maintain overall health and fitness. Commercial foods that are normally touted as healthy can actually be detrimental to a dog's health. Many times they contain an enormous amount of additives and preservatives that are actually toxic for dogs. Long term reliance on such diets means more toxins to eliminate. As the pressure mounts on the liver to eliminate them it has to work beyond its capacity. The extra burden results in over work, which ultimately leads to damaging the most important industrial center of the body.

Liver failure is an omen of early death for a dog. A liver friendly diet that allows the liver to rest and work within its limits is the best tool for prevention and also for maintaining overall health of your favorite companion.

Last edited:
If you have a horse that has a scrape and the hair is missing start rubbing bacon grease on the bald spot every day. It helps the hair grow back.

Back
Top Bottom