What do you do with your chickens when they die?

Aug 5, 2021
Hello ya'll

Since I recently lost 2 of my favorite chickens for unrelated issues. It got me to thinking...what do you do with your chickens when they die? Do you bury them? Throw them in the trash? Eat them? I am curious. I have started a chicken cemetery it seems. That is definitely not my future plan. I was just curious to know what everyone does with their chickens when they die.

Thanks!

Isadora

Soli Deo gloria
Premium Feather Member
Mar 29, 2021
IN
Hello ya'll

Since I recently lost 2 of my favorite chickens for unrelated issues. It got me to thinking...what do you do with your chickens when they die? Do you bury them? Throw them in the trash? Eat them? I am curious. I have started a chicken cemetery it seems. That is definitely not my future plan. I was just curious to know what everyone does with their chickens when they die.

Thanks!
We bury ours very deep in our garden area.

MTKitty

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
MT
We bury ours very deep in our garden area.
I like this idea. I’ll have to consider it as my soil is so rocky that I use extreme raised beds (3 ft +).

I feed mine to the coyotes.
This was my first inclination, but I’m not sure I want ‘yotes to associate my or my chickens’ smell with a free and easy meal.

A great deal depends on the cause of death. If the bird is healthy and I’m the cause if death, it’s food. If they die of old age, probably a trip to the dump, unless the smell will get too bad before my trash run. Then, it’s likely to be burial. If disease causes the death, I’d have to consider communicability before deciding among trash, burial, or burning.

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
Bury them in the garden, which is always their favorite place even though they aren't supposed to be in there. We do process chickens, but I do not eat chickens which have died due to injury or disease, older birds, nor my sweet laying birds. Only chickens that get eaten are young cockerels and meat chickens.

Top Bottom