What do you do with your chickens when they die?

I like this idea. I’ll have to consider it as my soil is so rocky that I use extreme raised beds (3 ft +).

This was my first inclination, but I’m not sure I want ‘yotes to associate my or my chickens’ smell with a free and easy meal.

A great deal depends on the cause of death. If the bird is healthy and I’m the cause if death, it’s food. If they die of old age, probably a trip to the dump, unless the smell will get too bad before my trash run. Then, it’s likely to be burial. If disease causes the death, I’d have to consider communicability before deciding among trash, burial, or burning.
I have no issues with the coyotes.

Only predators I've dealt with was weasel, skunk, & an unknown raptor.

Once a stranger who wrung the neck of a favorite cockerel of mine.

4 birds I had to put down: #1. Severe Brooder Aspergillosis, #2. Severe Sour Crop(Didn't know how long the bird was suffering with the condition was to late to treat)#3. Prolapsed constipated hen, that ended up getting fly strike, #4. Reoccurring Bumblefoot on a crippled hen. She had slipped tendon when she was a chick.

Deaths by another rooster: 1. Black Sumatra, & 1, Welsummer

Natural Deaths: 1 heart attack, 1 heat stroke.

I forgot I lost 2 one year due to Mycotoxicosis, from eating moldy feed. The first one died, & second I put down to end the suffering.

Last edited:
Lucky. I’ve seen two, heard more, and found scat/tracks. The one I saw this spring was no more than 100 feet from my front yard. That was pre-chicken.

Ugh. Monkeys. 😡🤨
They wander the area, but never once went after the birds.

Yeah, I was really upset. It was almost Christmas when I found him dead.

We have coyotes and fox. So I bury them far away from the coop area. They need to be a few feet down or they will be found inside a week.
Same. I bury them, but due to having one dug up before, I bury them with a stone slab on top.

The stone slab is reused after a while. I like to bury next to trees.

My backyard chickens are not pets. If one got injured and died, I might butcher it for food. If a chicken dies from an unknown disease, then it gets buried into a compost pile.

I would not leave my dead chicken out to feed predators. I think that might encourage them to come back for the live ones in the chicken run/coop.

IIRC, I saw a YouTube where Joel Salatin feeds his old chickens that he culls to his hogs. He does not take the time, or effort, to process old laying hens. Makes more sense on his commercial farm to feed the hogs all those old, culled chickens.

If your chickens are pets, then I suppose a proper burial would not be out of the question. I like the idea of burying it in the garden where it's body can bring new life to plants and food in the future. But whatever brings you comfort at the passing of a pet is OK with me. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom