What do you do with your chickens when they die?

Pics
Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hello ya'll

Since I recently lost 2 of my favorite chickens for unrelated issues. It got me to thinking...what do you do with your chickens when they die? Do you bury them? Throw them in the trash? Eat them? I am curious. I have started a chicken cemetery it seems. That is definitely not my future plan. I was just curious to know what everyone does with their chickens when they die.

Thanks!

Hello ya'll

Since I recently lost 2 of my favorite chickens for unrelated issues. It got me to thinking...what do you do with your chickens when they die? Do you bury them? Throw them in the trash? Eat them? I am curious. I have started a chicken cemetery it seems. That is definitely not my future plan. I was just curious to know what everyone does with their chickens when they die.

Thanks!
We bury ours very deep in our garden area.

We bury ours very deep in our garden area.
I like this idea. I’ll have to consider it as my soil is so rocky that I use extreme raised beds (3 ft +).

I feed mine to the coyotes.
This was my first inclination, but I’m not sure I want ‘yotes to associate my or my chickens’ smell with a free and easy meal.

A great deal depends on the cause of death. If the bird is healthy and I’m the cause if death, it’s food. If they die of old age, probably a trip to the dump, unless the smell will get too bad before my trash run. Then, it’s likely to be burial. If disease causes the death, I’d have to consider communicability before deciding among trash, burial, or burning.

Back
Top Bottom