What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...)

☠ What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...) ☠

• Send it to freezer camp?

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Send it to the lab?

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Throw them in the trash?

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • Make dog food?

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Bury them?

Votes: 115 54.8%
  • Burn them?

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • Compost them?

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Throw them over the hedge into the neighbors yard? ☺

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Toss them in the weeds or woods?

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • No deaths yet

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Taxidermy

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Flaming Arrow at Sea

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I scrape a shallow hole, put the bird in and cover with a heavy paving slab. This prevents big predators from getting to them -- I don't want to encourage them, and don't want to step into the garden and find a cloud of feathers or something even more horrible. I believe little animals are able to dig under and get to the bodies as I've never seen a scrap of anything when I lift the paving slab. I'm okay with this.

If death is unknown, we do a necropsy at home. My wife takes samples in formalin to work and completes the investigation. The bodies and unused tissues are thrown the trash and removed to prevent attracting any more predators than we have to. If the cause of death is known and not a health risk to us, we will eat them.
Just zaxly where you live.;)
Veterinary Pathologist
The only time I had the state lab do a necropsy it cost over a hundred dollar's .From that point on it'.i'ms just another dead chicken.Dig a pit beneath the munure pile bury it .would leave it for the scavengers,but my dogs will eat anything .And the deader the better.I deworm them often.

Back
Top Bottom