What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...)

☠ What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...) ☠

• Send it to freezer camp?

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Send it to the lab?

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Throw them in the trash?

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • Make dog food?

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Bury them?

Votes: 115 54.8%
  • Burn them?

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • Compost them?

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Throw them over the hedge into the neighbors yard? ☺

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Toss them in the weeds or woods?

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • No deaths yet

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Taxidermy

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Flaming Arrow at Sea

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
Pics

room onthebroom

Advocate
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 4, 2015
33. N -117.W
I'm curious what everybody does with their sick or crippled birds? There are no judgements here, so if you don't like what someone says, please keep it to yourself. I'm just wondering, if you have a bird that dies of illness, or sudden death, or an attack, or other unexpected loss, do you;

*Still send it to freezer camp?
*Send it to the lab?
*Throw them in the trash?
*Make dog food?
*Bury them?
*Burn them?
*Compost them?
*Throw them over the hedge into the neighbors yard? ;)
*Other?

I've been known to bury mine, but I'm always interested to hear what other peoples practices are. :pop

I don't eat birds that died for any reason but a sharp blade to the neck. Not worth the risk. Animal kills have too much debris in the wounds.
Sometimes I'll do a home necropsy if it was a weird death. Other times I chalk it up to laying issues and dispose of them whole. I toss dead birds over a ridge on my property; I used to bury them but I got sick of hacking at rocks for half an hour just to make a shallow grave. I'd like one of those pits with a hatch at the top that you see designs for in old poultry books; maybe I'll try to make one some fall day when I don't have anything else to do. I don't have a lot of birds bite the dust, I sell my old layers which are the most die-happy population you'll find anywhere.

Last edited:
I would only eat ones that I kill (or roadkill that is still wiggly) but if I don’t know how it died, not gonna risk it.
I put them in a garbage bag & toss them in the trash.
If we had a little more space I would dig a pit, but it will attract animals & I don’t want that close to my house/flock.

Back
Top Bottom