What do you do with your eggs when you collect them?

What do you do with your eggs after collecting them?

• Total voters
If the egg is very dirty and I’m not going to use it right away, I wash it then refrigerate it. If it is relatively clean, I put it in the Egg Butler (AKA Egg Skelter) on the counter. Lately I’ve been cooking them up (scrambled) and feeding them back to the chickens. Then I crush the shells and put them into the worm farm or compost bin.

A little off topic, but another way to store eggs.
If I get an excess of eggs, I often freeze them. I do it two different ways. I mix up a dozen eggs and then divide equally in muffin tins. These I use for baking as I can pick two "eggs" worth by using to muffin eggs.

But I have a large family that often comes home, so I sometimes just pour a dozen or dozen and half beaten eggs into a freezer bag and freeze the whole bag. These I will use for a big pan of scrambled eggs.

Mrs K

A little off topic, but another way to store eggs.
If I get an excess of eggs, I often freeze them. I do it two different ways. I mix up a dozen eggs and then divide equally in muffin tins. These I use for baking as I can pick two "eggs" worth by using to muffin eggs.

But I have a large family that often comes home, so I sometimes just pour a dozen or dozen and half beaten eggs into a freezer bag and freeze the whole bag. These I will use for a big pan of scrambled eggs.

Mrs K

I've heard you can do this and I have considered freezing some of my eggs to carry me over when they go through their molt. Good to hear others are doing this. I have 5 hens but think one is not laying, but I'm still up to my ears in eggs. I'm going to a Christmas Party where I used to work (I retired at the end of September). My former supervisor suggested I use a dozen eggs as my Yankee Swap gift. The eggs and one of those tiny frying pans should be a hoot. I'm sure I'm not the first chicken farmer to give eggs at Christmas. LOL!

You can also separate eggs and freeze them. I often freeze yolks in a little silicone ice cube tray, then pop out and bag. I end up doing that because I make angel food cake, which calls for a dozen whites only. Then, anytime I make something that only takes yolks, I freeze the whites in a Ziploc and write how many are in there. Just thaw in the fridge and they work good as new.

You can also separate eggs and freeze them. I often freeze yolks in a little silicone ice cube tray, then pop out and bag. I end up doing that because I make angel food cake, which calls for a dozen whites only. Then, anytime I make something that only takes yolks, I freeze the whites in a Ziploc and write how many are in there. Just thaw in the fridge and they work good as new.
Curious if the frozen whites change the texture of the AF cake?

Has anyone ever tried preserving eggs with hydrated lime (pickling lime)?

I stumbled upon this video & it made me curious:
Have heard about it, seen other vids and articles.
One I recall, one of the few that offered review of results and not just how to start, said that the eggs do have a bit if an off taste.
Few questions/concerns I have about this vid are:
-Just because you don't wash bloom of doesn't mean shell pores are completely closed.
-Not enough details about how dirty is too dirty and what would happen if some poop was on eggs.
-No mention about the highly caustic nature of hydrated lime and care needed when handling it.
Wonders if she has followup to how these egg were when used 8 months later?
Not sure I want to dig for that...internet 'heros' are rarely great at following up.

ETA: did find a followup, and it's a good one:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom