What do you do with your extra chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tomato lady, Sep 10, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I am new to the chicken thing. My oldest are just ready to start laying eggs.

I would like to get an incubator and hatch some eggs with my granddaughter next spring. Of course I would want to keep some of the chicks, but I there is a limit to how many I have room for. I am fast reaching that limit with out hatching any eggs (total is 44 pullets now). I already have 2 walk-in type coops and I want to add on to the large one by Spring. If I am going to hatch eggs I want to be able to keep some breeds seperate.

Now for my question. What do you do with all the chicks you don't want to keep? Obviously, if I hatch very many times I can't keep them all. I also don't want a bunch of roosters, and I am not sure there is much of a market for them.

What do you do with your extra chicks?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I keep them until I can tell whether I want to add them to my breeding flocks. If they don't make the cut I take them to the local poultry auction.

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    place ad's on CL to sell them cheap or trade for feed which Ive done, talk to your local feed store sometimes they buy them...they do from me at 4.00 a chick and turn around and sell them....

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sell extra chicks or hens, sometimes can sell roo hen pairs, but usually, roos end up soup.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I either keep a few, or sell them to people locally by selling on craigslist.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I call the local 4H extention office and let them know what I have. Then I give them to 4H kids. I have only hatched purebreds to make this easier. The kids always want the extra birds, even the roos.

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Quote:That's an awesome idea Jody!

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If you develop into a Hatchaholic (like alot of us here) [​IMG] you need an outlet regularly for your chicks like a local auction-thats what I use and actually from about February to August I make around $100 a week, so my addiction makes a little profit.[​IMG]

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I have a few little Serama cockerels I want to sell but nobody wants them! Very sad. It looks like we will have to kill them.

10. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I have too many chickens already and more in the bator. My hubby isnt going to be happy once he sees these new chickies.
    I plan on keeping a couple hens, and giving away the rest.
    Anyone "NEED" some BC Marans, silkies or Ameraucanas in New Mexico ROFL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by